Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are methods allowed to be shared? >

Are methods allowed to be shared?

Are methods allowed to be shared?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 AM

Default Dishwasher Engineering

Originally Posted by craftymatt2 View Post
LOL, that is funny, but i have been doing it that way for years, and i am older, so wouldn't this be my method?? Pretty soon someone will put a copyright on going to the bathroom.
My husband has a patent on this. It is specific to Kitchen Aid's. You can email him about it at [email protected]
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
What mystifies me is why you would need to buy a pattern for most of the quilts (or tote bags) I see posted on here or any other forum. All you need for the majority of quilt 'patterns' is a picture of the completed quilt. It can usually be quite easily figured out and redrawn on graph paper or in quilt design software (like EQ). Now some of the ones that are based on shapes other than a combination of squares, triangles and rectangles may be a little more difficult to figure out, but not impossible. As someone else mentioned earlier, I'm not going to waste my $$ on a pattern unless it is something extra special that I wouldn't figure out on my own.
Perhaps I can demystify you.

I always buy or download-free quilt patterns because that is how I am learning to construct a quilt: the correct layout to cut the fabric, the correct sizes for the pieces, how to choose attractive color combination, how to construct the blocks and layout and sew the rows or sections, and some patterns even have suggestions on attractive machine quilting as well as 'tips and hints' for ensuring an efficient process. Someday when I know all about quilting, or think I do, perhaps I will be able to do otherwise. But for $5-$10 for a pattern, it is worth it to me to know how the designer envisions the construction.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Copyright applies to ideas the creator puts into form: , liteterature, photographs, movies, software, choreography, visual arts, music and software. Copyright protects original creative expression and works of authorship; it protects originality, not novelty. Copyright DOES NOT PROTECT: single words or short phrases ("Where's the beef?"), titles, lists of ingredients or anything that doesn't have a spark of creativity. General design parameters, ideas, and processes are protected under patent and/or trademark law, not copyright law. You cannot copy and distribute someone else's text or words. If you can share a concept in your own words, I don't see a problem with it. I am, however, not an attorney...

PLEASE NOTE MY RED TEXT CHANGES BASED ON SEVERAL CONVERSATION WITH COPYRIGHT ATTORNEYS. That said, you can share a technique - and although according to copyright law it is not a legal requirement, it's simply good manners to mention who you learned it from.

To teach a technique and remain in the law, you construct a separate sample for each step of the process. Lists of materials and their quantities are not copyrighted. Many of my workshop instructors have done this with those tri-fold display panels (thing HUGE blank brochure-like display panel).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Froggy, thanks for lightening the mood. This is a touchy issue that I am sure we won't solve here. Photocopying patterns is definitely a copyright infringement. However, there are so many patterns done by so many different people with patterns that look alike, yet each person holds the copyright for the design. I think that can be explained by the fact that the government is involved in the copyright process. LOL
Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 PM

As mentioned here in the discussion, ideas, techniques and methods can not have a copyright but someone's actual description or words can be. Also if a technique/method is an 'original' process it could be patented to prevent any infringement of 'ownership rights'. This usually occurs in different industrial arenas.

That said, I think that in this situation that has been presented, it is a case of 'common sense'.

Last year, I took a class on a technique that has been around as long as quilters have been sewing. Although I have been sewing for over 50 years and feel that I have a high level of experience, I had never done this technique before and thought that this class would be an easy way to learn any short cuts or tips on the method. Along with the class fee, a $30 book from a specific author was a 'required' purchase in order to take the class. Signing up, I didn't have a problem with this but realized by the end of the class that the 'required' book had not been referred to at all during the class and was of no particular use after the class. The LQS may have thought that they were covering their 'integrity' and their butt by requiring that this book be purchased but it was a complete waste of money and I will never take another class again at this particular LQS!!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 PM

You know, a lot of us are seniors, myself included, and I'm pretty sure that most of us wrote many book reports when we were in school. We told our version of what the book was about. If sharing methods/ideas we learned in a book violates copyright, then every current and former schoolchild would be in jail.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I know I can't (won't) copy patterns or pages from books to share with others. But I'm wondering about sharing concepts that are gleaned from books that were written for the sole purpose of teaching a method (as opposed to a specific pattern).

For example ... I purchased a book called "Fabulous Fractures". While the book does give some defined specifics about sizes of strips to cut, and seam allowance - the basic crux of the book is the METHOD that is used to create a fracture. The method is basically a simple math equation. The concept, the method are remarkably easy.

Because it was published, I'm hesitant to pass along to others the basic concept I used to make my fracture. A few have remarked "wow - how did you do that" - none have asked me to share, but I'm wondering if I can if asked. I did make a few remarks about the concept, but didn't give instructions and left out some key elements as I was skating on rather shaky ground.

So what do you guys think about sharing methods?

And one more question while we are at it. Is it OK for an LQS to host a class to teach a method learned from a book? Would a requirement for each class member to purchase the book be necessary to teach the method?

I'm curious ... can a "method" be copy written? The words that describe the method can be, but the method itself??
I'd share face to face with my buds.
There's not a lot on this earth that is NEW when talking methods.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:48 PM

I would most definitely err on the side of caution. As many have said, a copyright, is a copyright! If it were me I would simply say 'here is the book I used with this technique. I would love to share with you but..... ' I come from the machine embroidery world and in that part of the world you don't share, period. I personally wouldn't want to share it.JMHO

Last edited by Divokittysmom; 02-05-2012 at 05:54 PM.