Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Microwave Bowl Holders >

Microwave Bowl Holders

Microwave Bowl Holders

Old 04-03-2016, 03:57 PM

I made and sold quite a few last year for $10 each, using Wrap n Zap. It can be expensive but if you watch for sales you can get a deal. I just bought a bolt of Wrap n Zap from Walmart online, 22 x 10 yards for $7.50 including tax. Had it shipped to local store so no shipping cost. That's enough to make 31-32 bowls
Old 04-03-2016, 09:32 PM

regarding catching fire -- we sell microwave potato bags 100% cotton -- with the instructions not to use them ore than 8 minutes, and then they must be cooled to room temp before using again. Longer use could cause problems as noted!
Old 04-05-2016, 02:40 AM

I have found that the bowls seem to flatten out so I just make them flat an wide like a placemat (but not as large) and use them out of the microwave after food has been zapped...my family tends to put their dinner plates in the microwave to reheat the food so this works perfectly for them to sit and watch TV with the plate on their lap..which is unfortunately what most of us do...lol..but I also think it is not a money maker since you can barely recover the cost of your materials and that would give zero money for labor...I think coasters would be better...easy to make/fast and can use scraps...(especially batting scraps which most of us have a lot of)
Old 04-05-2016, 03:19 AM

Last Christmas at one of the fairs, someone was selling hers for $3-$4 each. My friend bought one & loved it. However, I have no idea what was inside it & wondered about that. My friend loved it so much, she asked me to make her a bigger one. I did, but I used the Warm Tater batting & cotton fabric/cotton thread, & just gave it to her.

I was gifted one last year & love mine. I don't know what's in that one, either, although I did ask the giver & did not receive a reply. I use it every morning in the microwave for 3-1/2 minutes & have never had a problem.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:19 AM

I made a sew of microwave bowl holders after Christmas just for fun. I also made a pattern for myself suitable to use to hold a large plate. I had not heard of them catching on fire before I read it on this site. Used the batting sold for these items. (Saw the batting at a good price at Walmart the other day.) However, I don't think if you are warming something up for a minute of so there would be a problem. But just in case I now warm up the food and pull the item onto the holder. Works for me. Love using them. Great for that bowl of oatmeal in the morning or leftovers at noon.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:44 AM

Use 100% cotton thread also!! (poly wrapped cotton thread is often the fire issue)
Old 04-05-2016, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I made 20 of these in production line fashion a few years ago out of scraps. I sold them for $5 each, don't know if that was too low but they all sold in about an hour.

Cari
I used to sell my hand painted items at craft shows years ago. One year, I had a lady and her daughter next to my area selling heating (corn) bags. A variety of team related fabrics. She sold them cheap, like $2.50 or so, maybe even $5 don't really remember. Her selling area was really bare, just a plain table with all these bags sitting on top. It was probably when the corn heating bags were just getting popular, because she sold out in minutes, had to go home and make more and came back to sell even more.

The next year, she could hardly even sell one.

Go figure. It's just the timing, and you never know. Kind of like those beta bowls (fish in a very small space, not my cup of tea.). They would sell fast, and then not at all.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 AM

I make sm, med, and lg ones. I sell them for $6, $7 and $8 each. I only use 100% fabric and thread and the Wrap N Zap batting. I also stress to people to only use them for a couple minutes and to stay by their microwaves when using them.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 AM

Quiltaddict-You stated you just purchased a bolt of wrap N zap from WalMart, for $7.50 incl. tax, when I went to their site I found the bolt priced for $41. Did you buy an entire bolt or what to get that much for $7.50? I bought the only size bag they had in the store a few weeks ago at Walmart for $4.98 and it was a small bag with a yard or so of wrap n zap.

Last edited by Gerbie; 04-05-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:20 AM

I had the same question as Gerbie.....