Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
microwave potato bags >

microwave potato bags

microwave potato bags

Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 PM

I've been making these and they are selling like "hot potatoes" if you'll excuse the pun. But, I do include a disclaimer about scorching, etc. indicating that microwaving over 7 minutes can cause this problem.

I like the idea of cooking for 4 or so minutes, let it rest, then finish cooking. I'll change the verbage on my instruction sheet.

I love my bag. The potatoes turn out perfect -- fluffy and soft. Sweet potatoes are awesome made this way. I only use 100% cotton materials - fabric, muslin lining, thread. This reduces any potential fire hazard. I do have the applique design if anyone is interested.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM

oh, that is what I do so maybe that's why I haven't had any problems yet.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by DeeDee1946
Have any of you made the bean or rice bags. They are for heat. Just make a sleave type bag. Turn right side out and add your beans or rice. I use beans. About 2 cups. Then sew the end closed. You put it in the Microwave and nuke for about 2 to 3 minutes. When you take it out it will be very hot. use hot pads or another towel. Then put it where you need it. I have had both knees replaced. This really helps on these cold and rainy days. Makes a nice gift also.
Dee Dee
My friend was in a serious auto accident (wheelchair for over 9 mos.). Her therapist wanted her to use moist heat. I made a rice bag for her with about 5 # of rice. The therapist was thrilled because she then had her use it as a weight when she started lifting her legs. That was 9 years ago and finally she had to make a new one to replace it this year.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
To bake my potatoes in microwave, I just use a wet face cloth. Skin stays moist & potatoe is perfect.
not sure this is for me .......I am one of those that LOVES a crispy hard skin on my potato..
Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by tazama
I have made dozens of the potato bags and they are very easy to make and do make wonderful gifts. I use mine all the time. You do have to make sure you use a wet paper towel and do not put in microwave for more than the 4 mins. I usually do 3 mins, let set and do another couple of mins (depending on potato size) they come out so nice and fluffy. No need to poke with fork before cooking. I also have used mine to cook corn on the cob. It works but one end does get dried out. Personally I like my corn cooked in a pot, but it can be done in the bag. They are wonderful for warming rolls and muffins.

I also make the corn and rice bags. I put lavender in my rice bags. Makes a nice relaxing scent when warmed. The corn bags are great for warming then putting between the sheets to warm the bed up on these cold winter nights. You can also put the rice and corn bags in the freezer and use as ice bags. I make mine with a removable outer cover so they can be laundered. I use plain muslin for the inside and a pattern material (all 100% cotton) for the outer. These make great gifts too for the sports members in your family, elderly, those with arthritis. I have even made (Kids sizes) for my grandchildren. They think they are the greatest thing for those bumps and all they get when falling from their bike, skating or climbing trees. There are wonderful sites out there with tons and tons of information. You just have to make sure you use precautions (as with everything) and keep safe. Happy sewing and hope all this info everyone has posted is helping you. :D
what kind of corn do you put in them ?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 PM

I put mine in a plastic bag (don't seal it) - keeps the taters moist. No more steaming them for tater salad!!! Yippie
Old 02-12-2010, 03:47 AM

I've made several of these lately, be sure to use 100% cotton fabric and batting. Otherwise it will BURN!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 AM

same her fts didnt work sec no pictures
Old 02-12-2010, 07:10 AM

Me too. I scrub the potato, shake off any excess water, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Potato bags and tortilla warmers, to me, are just excess stuff to keep in the kitchen. Now if someone would make me some nice potholders????

soannesew
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by janice4
Originally Posted by tazama
I have made dozens of the potato bags and they are very easy to make and do make wonderful gifts. I use mine all the time. You do have to make sure you use a wet paper towel and do not put in microwave for more than the 4 mins. I usually do 3 mins, let set and do another couple of mins (depending on potato size) they come out so nice and fluffy. No need to poke with fork before cooking. I also have used mine to cook corn on the cob. It works but one end does get dried out. Personally I like my corn cooked in a pot, but it can be done in the bag. They are wonderful for warming rolls and muffins.

I also make the corn and rice bags. I put lavender in my rice bags. Makes a nice relaxing scent when warmed. The corn bags are great for warming then putting between the sheets to warm the bed up on these cold winter nights. You can also put the rice and corn bags in the freezer and use as ice bags. I make mine with a removable outer cover so they can be laundered. I use plain muslin for the inside and a pattern material (all 100% cotton) for the outer. These make great gifts too for the sports members in your family, elderly, those with arthritis. I have even made (Kids sizes) for my grandchildren. They think they are the greatest thing for those bumps and all they get when falling from their bike, skating or climbing trees. There are wonderful sites out there with tons and tons of information. You just have to make sure you use precautions (as with everything) and keep safe. Happy sewing and hope all this info everyone has posted is helping you. :D
what kind of corn do you put in them ?
Janice4, I use the deer corn that they sell at feed stores & Walmarts has it most of the year. Just regular old feed corn. It is usually about 6 to 7 dollars for 50 lbs. Real cheap.