Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Microwave Potatoe Bag

Oh goodness. The other day one of the nice ladies here gave us a tut on Microwave bowl mittens and I promptly made two as they were so easy and hubby is using the dickens out of them.

Now one of my GF just got back from Canada. We met to day for our doll meet and she brought us instructions and the kit to make Microwave potatoe bakers lol....here it is. It says to just put the potatoes in, one or two and bake 8 minutes....

Two 11x22 100% cotton rectangles
    one 11x22 cotton batting
    cotton thread.

place the two pieces of fabric on top of the batting, right sides together and sew all around, leaving open at the side, turn right side out. stitch opening closed.

Top stitch one end widthwise for the top. Turn top down 3 1/2 inches , right sides together , for the top flap.
    Bring the bottom of the bag up, so that it comes 1 inch over the top flap.
    Pin and sew the side seams. Turn and press.

If you want to quilt it, like I did. quilt one side with the batting in long rows and then follow the rest of the instruction.

Two pieces sewed and turned
    Name:  Attachment-243289.jpe
Views: 278
Size:  53.5 KB

top folded down 3.5
    Name:  Attachment-243290.jpe
Views: 283
Size:  48.8 KB

bottom folded up over the 3.5 cuff, extending one inch over the top
    Name:  Attachment-243291.jpe
Views: 242
Size:  53.2 KB

here you can see the 1 inch extended over the cuff on the other side
    Name:  Attachment-243292.jpe
Views: 313
Size:  52.6 KB

The sides sewed and turned, see the cuff and the extention on the back?
    Name:  Attachment-243293.jpe
Views: 252
Size:  50.3 KB

here is the cuff turned over the extention and ready to bake
    Name:  Attachment-243294.jpe
Views: 285
Size:  54.1 KB

Blog Entries
    yes, those are so nice

Thanks for the tut. I have wanted to make some, but was a bit leary due to some of the wattages(sp) of ovens setting the batting on fire. I still have not purchased any of the potatoe batting that they are now selling for this purpose. I would like to presume the batting that caught fire was 80/20 or had some poly in it. I don't know.

Will use your tut though when I get to it. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing this with us :D:D:D

Yes you must use cotton batting...80/20 hobbs is ok too. It is only for the Microwave and it musn't touch the sides of the MW...it must be able to turn freely. ...It can catch fire if it can't turn and if it has poly in it, that's why it must be 100% cotton or the 80/20...

how's the potatoes out of this bag ?

Blog Entries
    There is a 100% cotton batting sold at most LQS for this purpose. Do not use Warm and Natural/White as it is NOT all cotton. The same should be true for bowl mittens. You must also use cotton thread. The potato bag also makes awesome corn on the cob. You roll each ear in a damp paper towel. My m/w is 1050 watts and I do 2 ears for 5 min. on high.

Be VERY careful.....I made these following instructions exactly and gave a friend one... hers caught on fire.... just wanted to warn you ...she timed 1 potatoe for 4 min. Also another friend make some and hers caught on fire and ruined her mircowave...we used ALL cotton,,even thread,,,used the special batting made foe potatoe bags .....

Thank you so much for sharing will be handy as I live alone...much easier for me.

They are great. DO NOT PRICK or CUT. All the moisture that usually is on the bottom of your microwave is still in your potato. Also great for Sweet Potato, corn on cob, Tortilla warmer. SOOO many ideas.

Warm and Natural makes a "Warm & Tater" batting so there is no issues with the batting as well. I got 2 FQ's of potato fabric in a draw that are just calling out to be used in a potato bag.

These instruction say specifically that bag must not touch the side of the MW and stop turning...that is what makes the fire....you need to be in the kitchen anyway when you are cooking. I learned that the hard way....

If I can set my quilt on fire, God know what I can do in the kitchen if I am not paying attention lol...

Blog Entries
    I was wondering if the fires were possibly caused by using the wet paper towels?

I've put mine in wet and no paper towel, still no problem. I've only heard of fires if you don't stay all Cotton. I can cook a bagfull of potato's in 9min.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I use mine with the actual 'potatoe' cook button on my microwave.. My potatoes are soaking wet going into the bag and sometimes Ill moisten the inside of the Tater bag just a tad bit as well . I do not prick the potatoes.. So far so good, and common sense tells me to never leave the kitchen with anything cooking; stovetop, oven or Microwave..

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I use mine with the actual 'potatoe' cook button on my microwave.. My potatoes are soaking wet going into the bag and sometimes Ill moisten the inside of the Tater bag just a tad bit as well . I do not prick the potatoes.. So far so good, and common sense tells me to never leave the kitchen with anything cooking; stovetop, oven or Microwave..

Ditto, but you would be surprised lol.....one of my dear GF thought she could wash her foot in the sink and brush her teeth at the same time....she fell backwards and has untold injuries including broken ribs...common sense isn't so common after all.......she is doing ok now, poor soul.

I made many of these quite a few years ago and used poly batting in them, I have been using them with no problem, but it is recommended to use the potato batting.

I stuffed about 6 potatoes in the bag yeasterday and baked for 10 minutes. I wanted to make mashed potatoes and this so much easier and the potatoes have a more substancial texture.
    Tip: when peeling the hot pot lol...let the kitchen towel slide over your thumb so you won't burn and keep changing to a cooler section....the mashed pot were awesome...