Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mid Arm / Long Arm questions >

Mid Arm / Long Arm questions

Mid Arm / Long Arm questions

Old 08-19-2017, 04:06 AM

You will have to make that decision by yourself. Each of us is different. I bought the Simply 16 over a year ago with the Studio frame. I use groovy boards and pantographs so I have never even had to learn free motion quilting. The hardest part was figuring out how to load the quilt on the frame. I found some great videos and watched them over and over. No more basting the quilt sandwich! I love it. The machine moves so smoothly that I can operate it with one hand. When my legs or shoulders get tired, I just stop and rest awhile. Personally, I feel there is less shoulder strain using the Simply 16 than I had using my domestic machine. I can stand up straight rather than lean over so much. If you buy one, make sure it is adjusted for your height. The person I bought from came to my home, installed my machine, and spent the day with me teaching me how to use it. Wonderful service!

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:24 AM

Becoming a good quilter, no matter what kind of machine you use or what options they have, just takes practice, practice and even more practice. I don't know about long-term health problems but whether you use a sit-down or stand-up machine you'll need to take a periodic break and stretch your muscles a bit. I mostly stand at my long arm but also work while sitting whenever possible on a saddle chair. I love it! It's on wheels and we have a hardwood floor so it's easy to move about and quilt even while sitting.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:33 AM

I purchased a sweet 16 back in February. I used it to quilt 2 smaller quilts and decided I needed to upgrade, so I am selling the sweet 16 right now. For me, I think it would be easier to move a machine instead of my material.
I think you should try both types of machines and see which one you'd like best.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:12 AM

With my Sweet 16, I found I did much better with my FMQ designs when I used the foot pedal. Somehow, it seemed to engage my brain to a greater degree than quilting without the pedal.

You won't have to move a heavy quilt around with a stand up machine, and I would say that's the difference that supersedes all of the other factors when considering a sit down vs. long arm. If you have the space for a long arm, and if you are physically able to work standing up, and if you don't mind not having tactile contact with your quilt while quilting, it's simply going to be easier to quilt with a long arm, and you'll probably finish more quilts.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Martelli's Enterprises makes a table that can raise and lower. They just demonstrated it at one of our Guild meetings. It's expensive but would be so nice to be able to both sit and stand.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I went back and played with the machines today. For me, the deciding factor was the ease of moving the "pen" versus the "paper" for a larger sized quilt sandwich. For a wall-hanging or placemat sized quilt, moving the fabric around on the table (yes, with the surface designed for doing so) seemed just fine. The moment we switched to a throw sized quilt, it was a different story. The fabric was supported, but I felt much less able to manipulate it as I was quilting. I think I'll be going with a mid-arm (16") in a 5' frame.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I don't think you will regret going for a frame setup as opposed to sit down. As far as health issues with stand up quilting there are so many variables. First how physically fit are you to begin with? Do you have any other underlying health issues like fibromyalgia? Standing at a frame for long periods of time can affect different people differently. For me, I am fine while quilting but usually that evening I am sore all over and more than ready for bed at bedtime but I have fibro so it may be factoring into the equation. I pretty much experience the same fatigue and all over body aches from doing anything physical like yardwork.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by pchp View Post
Thanks for the input, everyone. I went back and played with the machines today. For me, the deciding factor was the ease of moving the "pen" versus the "paper" for a larger sized quilt sandwich. For a wall-hanging or placemat sized quilt, moving the fabric around on the table (yes, with the surface designed for doing so) seemed just fine. The moment we switched to a throw sized quilt, it was a different story. The fabric was supported, but I felt much less able to manipulate it as I was quilting. I think I'll be going with a mid-arm (16") in a 5' frame.
If it is possible, go with a longer frame. 5' frame will be fine for lap quilts, but allowance is needed for space on the ends to go underneath the machine to insert bobbins, cut the thread and so on. I am vertically challenged, so the mid arm (14") is perfect for me to reach across the quilting surface. Standing for long periods of time is not a problem since I stand on six layers of interlocking floor mats (used for workshops, children's play areas, etc.). I have no knee or back pains. I started out with DSM for FMQ, and did my shoulders ache a lot. You will enjoy your midarm, smile.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
I have never for one minute regretted my choice of 10 foot frame and small longarm 18", no more basting just get it on there and get it quilted, a little learning curve but easy enough and to date over 400 finished quilts!!!!
WOW you have been busy!!!
Old 08-20-2017, 05:16 AM

Oh, I thought you already had the frame so you were thinking about which type of machine to get. My best friend started with using her Juki on a 10 ft frame that has a smaller harp than what she wanted so she moved up to the midarm. I'm not a sit down person either I like moving the machine versus moving the quilt. Good luck with your purchase since this is not new to you it will be great.