Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mid Arm Machine >

Mid Arm Machine

Mid Arm Machine

Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 PM

So last year my wonderful supportive mom ordered me a Mid-Arm Machine so I could learn to quilt my own quilts. She died several weeks later. I finally took delivery on it in August and am trying to figure it out. For those of you who do Quilting on Mid arm or Long arm machines what do you suggest the best route to learning? I actually turned it on and played for a little today (the first time), I don't even know how to adjust the tension!!! HELP!! I need your suggestions for a path to follow... did you take classes, how did you find them....I'm at a lost, and don't want to find myself frustrated because I think I could really enjoy putting on some music and quilting. Thanks in advance for all the great advice!! You all "ROCK" as "they" say!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 PM

There are so many videos you can find on-line. Youtube,
http://gammill.net/index.php?m=vision_videos# This is Linda Taylor & Rhonda K. On youtube they have everything from tension to loading a quilt to feathers ect. I have a Mega Quilter with a 9" throat and can wait to get at least an 18" or large.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 PM

Sorry for your loss. What a generous Mum.
Good luck with the mid-arm. I have learnt heaps from U-tube (and on here of course).
Old 02-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

So sorry for your loss.Check locally if there is a sewing machine place that carries that machine and then ask if they have any classes.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 AM

What type of midarm did you get? Did you receive a manual with your machine? If so check it out and see if that would help you learn more about the machine. Also check out who sells the machine in your area...if none then google for dealers in your state and call them for advice. You can also google help for your specific machine and see what comes up to help you...
Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 AM

You didn't say what kind of machine it is. It took 1/2 a practice quilt for me to get the tension right on my Juki 98Q on the frame. Once I did it though- I never looked back. Go for it!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

did the machine come with an owners manual? if so you need to read it...it will answer all those questions concering set up, tension, maintenance ect...and if you know where it came from i would contact the shop...most dealers offer owners classes which will teach you everything you need to know to use your machine.
if you do not have a manual go to the website and purchase one...it is a valuable item to have handy. my machine is over 6 years old and the manual is still right where i can grab it if needed. if you can not go to the dealer for classes contact a local shop and ask if they know of any dealers of that machine within driving. also ask about quilting classes in your area. there are tons of videos to check out but i think an actual in shop class is invaluable to a successful outcome
Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, links, support, and condolences. I have read my owners manual.... will watch the you tube videos and see where that takes me! Thanks again! Anne