Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mid-Arm Quilting Machines: Advice? >

Mid-Arm Quilting Machines: Advice?

Mid-Arm Quilting Machines: Advice?

Old 11-22-2017, 05:10 AM

I have the Grace Sr-2 frame. It only has two rails...take up and feed. Mine said quilting space was 102" but considering the machine takes up space, it's actually less than that for me. I do mostly lap quilts and baby quilts with a bed size thrown in once in a while. Consider how often you would actually quilt a king size. For me, I save so much money quilting my own stuff that if I were doing a king quilt Id send a good LA to send it to.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:50 AM

Wow, that's a lot of helpful information! Thanks so much, everyone!

Fitting a king-size frame would be tricky without taking over a(nother) room in the house, but I do have room for a queen-size frame, with some serious reorganizing. It does sound like frames take more room on the sides than I might have guessed, which is good to know for planning.

I think that if/when I get a mid-arm and frame, I'll either find another quilting solution for any king-size quilts I make or quilt the border separately and join it with a QAYG method (thanks, PaperPrincess!).

I'll definitely be sure to get a frame and machine that go together, when I make a decision. The reason I was asking about the SR2+ specifically was that it seems to be bundled with/suggested for use with several of the machines in my price range. (I've read/watched videos about the SR2+'s two-rail frame system, but I don't know much about other frames, so maybe I'll read a little more about dead rails, etc.)

At the moment, I'm seriously considering the Q'nique 14+. From what I understand, it's the exact same machine as the Block Rockit, but it looks like one current bundle with the Q'nique and SR2+ is actually slightly cheaper than the same set-up with the Block Rockit. (Still good info, though, and the deals may change before I make up my mind.)

I have done a very, very little FMQ on my DSM, but it has such a small throat space, I knew I wouldn't want to do anything very big that way. (It's been enough of a struggle to wrestle small quilts through the DSM when doing simple straight-line quilting!) I wouldn't mind doing small FMQ projects on my DSM, but I didn't want to get too "ingrained" with that type of FMQ if I was going to end up getting a stand-up mid-arm machine, eventually, because I thought it might actually make it harder to switch styles, down the road. (It's interesting to read that the muscle memory may actually transfer from one method to the other!)

Re: used/refurbished machines, test drives/large quilt shows, and dealer support, it seems like there's always more to take into consideration! Especially if you're naturally prone to indecisiveness, you could go around in circles for years. I've already talked myself into and out of the whole idea of a quilting machine probably a couple dozen times! (I think I've settled it with myself that I'm going to buy some​ type of quilting machine, at least.)

Thank you again for all the advice and opinions. I'll keep researching and thinking!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 AM

I have a used FunQuilter from Noltings on a Hinterburg stretch frame, have upgraded from an antique Singer to the Noltings. Buying used saves a bunch and they are just like new from the companies. I love doing my charity projects standing up and can go back if I must be away from the frame.
Check all companies for refurbished models and go from there.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:23 AM

I guess I'm a little different from most responders - after all of my testing, I discovered that a sit-down quilter was the best fit for me.

Partially due to space constraints, but also because I have a bad back, and standing at a LA rapidly tires me out. It's not only the standing, it's the pivoting as I quilt. Whereas sitting at my machine, I can quilt for hours at a go.

I got the Bernina Q20, which is essentially my dream machine. I have had it a few months now and I adore it. Zero regrets. The stitch regulation on it is, IMO, the absolute best that can currently be found on a sit-down machine. I love it. My quilting is already better - between the larger space, the regulator, and the ease with which I can use rulers...it's a blast! I have so much more fun with my quilting now.

Ultimately, in a dream world, I'd have both. I certainly find the "no more sandwiching" aspect of a stand-up LA to be very appealing! But I think a lot of detail and fill work, I would continue to do at my sit-down machine where my back would be more comfortable.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:55 AM

I looked at a lot of brands and ended up getting the Handi Quilter Sweet 16 on a 10-ft frame. I'm glad I got a frame - I think it's easier to free motion quilt than on a sit down. I looked at the Qnique 14 and I'm glad I got the 16 inch. Those few inches make a difference. I would have preferred larger but the cost was prohibitive. If you don't have space for a ten foot frame, they have smaller frames and actually the HandiQuilter has a little foot frame where you move the quilt around as needed with large clamps. I almost got that but figured out a place in my house for a regular frame (basement). I got mine from Sewing Machines Direct and I got a great price, plus no tax and free delivery. I did have to put the frame together myself but I took my time and it went together pretty easily. You can do a lot when motivated!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Also quilting on a frame is A LOT better on my neck and back. Quilting on my DSM was a neck and back breaker for me.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM

I have a 15" Bailey Home quilter with a SR on a Hinterburg frame. When I moved into this apartment I cut the rails down to 96", so I only have about 86" actual quilting space. But it works fine for me as I usually quilt throw and twin size. If I were to do a larger quilt I'd send it out, but I doubt that will actually happen. The Bailey is not a true mid-arm as it is a Janome mechanical machine stretched out (the largest is 22"). But it works well for me and certainly was more affordable than a mid/long arm. I paid around $2000.00 for the new machine and $500.00 for the used frame 4 years ago.

Oh, to answer your question, even though I had to give up a dining room, I much prefer the machine on the frame than a table (which is also offered with the Bailey).
Old 11-23-2017, 04:49 AM

I have a HQ Fusion love it , but I'm not good on sit down to quilt . Please go to the quilt shop or shows and play.
I did that for about four months , I got the HQ 16 now I have moved up . But to buy one time I would get the
HQ Avante just the right size . Good luck and go drive them first and take your time...
Old 11-23-2017, 04:56 AM

I searched for the right quilting machine a couple of years ago. I had limited space(a 10 x 12 room). I finally chose the Simply 16 machine from Handi Quilter. I got the studio frame with it which can expand to 12 feet. We set mine up at 8 feet. The Simply 16 has built in stitch regulator. I love my machine! It is easy to learn and oh so wonderful to not have to make that quilt sandwich anymore!!!
Old 11-23-2017, 04:31 PM

I have the BlockRockit and love it. Feel free to pm me if you would like my phone number so we could chat.