Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Mid arm quilting thread bobbles

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    120
    I have Janome 1600P and when I begin quilting I get a thread ball at the bottom of the quilt. Occ it knots so badly it won't move and I have to crawl under to get the bobbin out and begin cutting threads to resolve the gunoidulum.
    Anybody have thoughts on WHY????????????????????
    I HAVE OILED, CHANGED NEEDLES, ADJUSTED TENSION BOTH BOBBIN AND UPPER.
    HELP ILLSA

  2. #2
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    I know from this post your frustrated and I am not trying to make things worse I just read an article about this issue and these are the things she said might be the cause. Are you using the same thread for the bobbin as in the top? do you use a bobbin genie a little disc for the bobbin?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Shelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wilbur, WA
    Posts
    762
    Are you pulling the bobbin thread to the top before you start quilting? Hang on to both threads until you get it anchored. You can use different threads in top and bottom, as long as your tension is balanced.

  4. #4
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,450
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Are you pulling the bobbin thread to the top before you start quilting? Hang on to both threads until you get it anchored. You can use different threads in top and bottom, as long as your tension is balanced.
    Many people forget to do this. Also, be sure your presser foot is down. This might be auto, I am not sure. I do know that on the older Husq. machines it would make a mess if you forgot. Good luck!

  5. #5
    Senior Member DeneK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Commerce, Ga
    Posts
    844
    I am interested in this topic too... I have a HandiQuilter and the same thing happened to me (also a Janome 1600P). It seems I remember from a previous topic that this Janome model is picky about the kind of thread. I spent quite a while looking at threads online today. The Superior thread site said that problems like this are often mismatched thread size and needle size. I am going to try another brand of thread when I get another top ready to quilt. The last one is sitting on the shelf because I need to remove all the stitching since I have all those bird's nests on the back.

    Will be interested to see what everyone has to say.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    120
    Yes I have the same thread. Don't know what a bobbin genie is. Thanks for answering. Illsa

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    120
    Yes I am. Sometimes when you use the auto thread cut you don't have to pull it to top if you haven't broken the thread.
    Thanks for answering.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    120
    The Janome rep that sold the machine sold me Signature Machine Quilting 100% Cotton thread.
    He also sold me the wrong needles but I have the correct needles now.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    120
    Sometimes I can ignore the thread balls and continue sewing and the stitches are perfect for a long time like one row of 86" quilt before it shreds the thread or breaks the thread. Completely baffles and frustrates me when it can work perfect then screw up. Machines aren't supposed to do that I didn't think.

  10. #10
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    Bobbin genie is a plastic type washer you put in your bobbin that helps keep the thread from making nest. Like I said I just read this yesterday on another site. So sorry this this frustrating hang in there.

  11. #11
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/magicgeniewashers.htm
    here is the link for the bobbin genie. also the site that where I got the long arm information.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by DeneK
    I am interested in this topic too... I have a HandiQuilter and the same thing happened to me (also a Janome 1600P). It seems I remember from a previous topic that this Janome model is picky about the kind of thread. I spent quite a while looking at threads online today. The Superior thread site said that problems like this are often mismatched thread size and needle size. I am going to try another brand of thread when I get another top ready to quilt. The last one is sitting on the shelf because I need to remove all the stitching since I have all those bird's nests on the back.

    Will be interested to see what everyone has to say.
    Do you belong to the HQ16 Yahoo Group? It's a great place to get advice/help for these machines. For the HQ, your issue most likely is not pulling, then holding, the bobbin thread firmly while taking the 4-5 tacking stitches to secure the threads before moving on. Of course, this assumes the beginning of a line of thread is the only time you see these little balls. The 2nd most common thing would be tension issues.

    Come join our HQ16 group - we're a great group and a wonderful resource (and there are Yahoo Groups for the majority of other machines as well, which I'd recommend to all machine owners with any sort of questions!).

    On the Jamone, it may also be not holding the bobbin thread until the tacking stitches are complete. If not held firmly, the excess will create a birds nest or a small ball of thread. So, if you hold the threads firmly (pulling on the bobbin thread to ensure it's taunt) and you hold them until the 4-5 stitches are complete, then your issue should be resolved. Try it and see if that helps. If not, let us know!

    Debbie in Austin

  13. #13
    Super Member Annya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    1,387
    Do you pull up the bottom thread before you start to sew? I would also suggest that you test on a piece similar to what you are going to work on. Practice on your sample first and see if it does it there.The other thing is to go back to where you got it and ask them to help you fix the problem. If you are like me you will be friends with them and they are willing to help you..

  14. #14
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Illsa
    I have Janome 1600P and when I begin quilting I get a thread ball at the bottom of the quilt. Occ it knots so badly it won't move and I have to crawl under to get the bobbin out and begin cutting threads to resolve the gunoidulum.
    Anybody have thoughts on WHY????????????????????
    I HAVE OILED, CHANGED NEEDLES, ADJUSTED TENSION BOTH BOBBIN AND UPPER.
    HELP ILLSA
    I have this same machine on a frame. When this happens to me it is when I forget to lower the presser foot.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Donnamarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    582
    Be sure it is threaded correctly. When my thread bunches up on the bottom it is a sure sign that it is not threaded properly. Good luck.

  16. #16
    Super Member jitkaau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Illsa
    I have Janome 1600P and when I begin quilting I get a thread ball at the bottom of the quilt. Occ it knots so badly it won't move and I have to crawl under to get the bobbin out and begin cutting threads to resolve the gunoidulum.
    Anybody have thoughts on WHY????????????????????
    I HAVE OILED, CHANGED NEEDLES, ADJUSTED TENSION BOTH BOBBIN AND UPPER.
    HELP ILLSA
    Just a thought that I had this happen once and it turned out that when I actually changed the bobbin, the problem stopped. Somehow, the bobbin itself was a bit crooked and caused this problem.

  17. #17
    Super Member jitkaau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Illsa
    Sometimes I can ignore the thread balls and continue sewing and the stitches are perfect for a long time like one row of 86" quilt before it shreds the thread or breaks the thread. Completely baffles and frustrates me when it can work perfect then screw up. Machines aren't supposed to do that I didn't think.
    If the cotton is shredding as well, it indicates that the needle hole is too small for the weight of cotton that you are using. Try a top stitch or metalic thread needle (they are the same needle in any case), as they have a longer hole and a groove at the back to house the thread as it goes into the fabric. Number 12 weight cotton is the thickest that you can use if going through a sewing machine needle.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    120
    Thank you for the input but I think it is a problem with the machine as all of the above are correct. I thread with presser ft. up, pull up bobbin thread, tuck bobbin thread under the foot with top thread do few tacking stitches. The dealer came to my home and said it needed to be sent in so it is going on Monday. Illsa

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    120
    I have the auto cutter on the 1600P Janome and the thread is barely visible sticking out of the fabric. No way could I hold it. It doesn't make bird nests every time. It has a mind of its own.
    My dealer came to my home and watched me quilt and said it needed to be sent in to company for repair so now it is gone and I'm UNSEWING. Thanks for your thoughts. Illsa

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    120
    My Janome dealer recommends Signature thread and that does work well when mine is working correctly. Illsa

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.