Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mid arm - what questions to ask >

Mid arm - what questions to ask

Mid arm - what questions to ask

Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 PM

No, I think the only HQ16 is the sit down. It was replaced by the Avante which is 18 inches. You can get a frame to set up to either 8 feet, 10 feet or 12 feet. There is a frame that I don't think will set up at 10 feet. I have the HQ16 and LOVE IT!!! I am looking to upgrade my frame and wheels, but will stay with the 16 vs the Avante as I don't have the extra room:(

Last week I quilted a customers quilt 90 inches long with her 4.5 inch pantograph. 18 rows later, not one thread break, great tension throughout.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned

One tiny thing I'd like to bring up. When you ask about the stylus piece, verify that it comes equipped with a laser light. Sometimes the term "stylus piece" to a dealer means s stick or rod that lets you follow a printed pattern. If it's a laser light you are interested in, make it clear to the dealer.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
One tiny thing I'd like to bring up. When you ask about the stylus piece, verify that it comes equipped with a laser light. Sometimes the term "stylus piece" to a dealer means s stick or rod that lets you follow a printed pattern. If it's a laser light you are interested in, make it clear to the dealer.
Good question to ask, thanks. I know HQ16 has both (and I get to say "laser" in the Austin Powers tone and use the air quotes... kinda wanting to buy the machine just to be able to talk about my machine and its "laser" ... anyway), good point to ask about TL. so far HQ has done a much better job of having information on their website and demo DVDs. TL, not so much. Which doesn't mean the machine is better or worse, but in the points column, HQ gets the advertising points.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by MamaHen
Just looked at the Handi Quilter web site, the HQ 16 is still there, so maybe my info was incorrect.
I emailed HQ and they said, "At this time Handi Quilter continues to manufacture the HQ 16 SR Machine and frame system; which is a completely different machine than the HQ Sweet Sixteen Sit Down machine.

We have many thousands of customers with the HQ16 machine and we will always support those customers. We have not discontinued the HQ 16 Stitch regulated machine. Thank you for your inquiry."

So, phew, nothing to worry about there! I know the Sweet 16 doesn't do everything I want it to do. And I have no plans of using the 16 in its sit down mode, but rather on the frame.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 PM

Glad you are asking all these questions...
I am looking for a larger throat machine as well...
Kirsten