Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Iron - Like it or Hate it? >

Mini Iron - Like it or Hate it?

Mini Iron - Like it or Hate it?

Old 12-14-2020, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Oh I looked at the link eparys posted and saw the travel cases for the SteamFast and the Hot to Trot. How cute are those! I ordered the one for the SteamFast.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:51 AM

Really cute travel case! Thanks for sharing, eparys.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 AM

I love mine and I paid $30.00 for the first one and $12.00 for the second one from Walmart. I keep one by my sewing machine and the other is packed to go to sewing classes and retreats. (Well not this year but when things were normal.)
Old 12-14-2020, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I *hate* the clover mini iron. Have burned myself on that dang thing so many times. I bought the Dritz Petite Press and love it so much, I bought a backup just in case.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:22 PM

Default Dritz

Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
I was thinking of purchasing a mini iron like you see in many of the quilting tutorials on you tube but wasn't sure how useful it would be or if it was just another one of those quilting items that look really cool at first but in reality not as good as it appears. For those of you who purchased one, do you like it? hate it? pros? cons?
I had a Dritz and used it so much for my quilts and dolly clothes that I burned it out. Will get only another Dritz.

Love them to the death--of the iron.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:47 AM

I have the Steamfast and loved it so much I bought another one. I never put water in any of my irons though. I use a spray bottle.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:15 AM

I bought a mini iron from MSQC on one of their daily deals but haven't used it yet so I am interested in this feedback.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:10 AM

I decided to get the Clover mini-iron early on and it's saved me a million times over. It does get really hot, I use it on the medium setting and I can open my seams and press them open in the blink of an eye. It came in very, very handy when I was working my GFG, I was able to just press the seams open until the flower was done and then press the entire flower all at once with my regular iron. Any quilt I do now, with the exception of my sister's DWR, I used the mini-iron on the seams. It saved so much time and I was able to get the seams open correctly the first time.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:22 AM

I have the dritz mini/travel iron size and I love it for pressing by my machine or taking out to quilt...which I hope we get to do again some day... it’s also great if you have a lot of repetitive pressing of small components as it isn’t as heavy as the full sized iron, so it’s easier on my shoulder. It gets really hot too, which is a bonus and you can use steam, although I tend not to. I have a clover mini iron I bought years ago on sale at Joann's and have never opened the package. Thinking I would give it a go, as it sounds like it could be very useful. I bought it to do turned appliqué, but haven’t done such a project yet, so there it sits.