Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini and micro leftover fabric trash -  what are you doing with them? >

Mini and micro leftover fabric trash - what are you doing with them?

Mini and micro leftover fabric trash - what are you doing with them?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 AM

I have been saving all those snipbits, but haven't decided what to do with them. I've read where many dog shelters stop accepting them due to the length of time it takes to dry them. As far as birds using strings, I've heard that was not good either cause their little feet can get caught entangled with them. So until I find a useful use, I'll keep baging them.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 AM

I have a large (1 !/2 ft tall) glass bottle I got at a yard sale. I throw in all the little bits and pieces, and as they
settle they form colorful layers, sort of like the layers of colored sand that kids used to put in bottles. Haven't
reached the top yet, but will probably throw the "fabric" out and start again. I also have heard that it takes too
long for the dog beds to dry.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:27 AM

I donate mine to the a quilters group that uses them in pet beds. It makes the bed s real washable.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:01 AM

If it takes too long for the pet bed to dry with just fabric scraps, would it work to add about the same amount of poly stuffing and mix it really well? I haven't done this, but I was thinking it might help keep the fabric sort of separated and dry faster.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 AM

I used to make the dog beds too, but since my dog rescue is not close by, I ended up with a bunch of undonated dog beds. So now the scraps go straight into the trash. I have too many usable size pieces already, don't need to collect more. There is only so much space for scraps.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I have friends that give me theirs too! I stuff dog beds for a local dog rescue. They give out a bed when they adopt out a dog to a new home. One more stop on the way to the dump! I am like you..I PAID for those scraps! I am SUCH a dog person-makes me happy to know that a doggie has a nice soft bed in a new home.
I collect scraps from my quilters group as well as my own to make and stuff pet beds and charity quilts. It is amazing what some other quilters will throw away -- extra blocks, fabric scraps as well as trimmings!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:50 AM

Re: drying scraps and bits stuffed dog beds. They need to be dried in a dryer with dryer balls or a tennis show (clean) to break up the lumps. If line dried they need to be shook really well several times.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:59 AM

I just started quilting so I don't have any little pieces yet, but I crochet and I take one of those wire basket suet cake holders for birds and fill it with snips of yarn and hang it in a tree, the birds love it for building nests. So maybe you could do the same with the threads and fabric snips? I know the birds would love the threads to line their nests. :-) It would be like they are "quilting" their nest. :-)
Old 10-16-2014, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by nakotha View Post
Hello all!
2 weeks ago i was sorting my stash. Still it is not perfect. Still my sewing room is not perfect

But i added a box, where I will start to collect all little fabric leftover I produce. You know, this little pieces that are too small to make something with them. They will be good enough to fill a rag doll that I make every now and then. Or pin cushions ... stuff like this.

Please don't call me stingy. But many things in life cost so much money. And sometimes little things can save a penny. This is my devise, haha

Please, what YOU do with your leftover fabric trash? Maybe one day I realise that i made enough dolls and cushions. I am open for more ideas, because I already see that I maybe need to hurry up, so this trash box will not be overloaded ... like my sewingroom ... haha
The first thing to do is to sew them all together and "create" fabric. I have seen some beautiful stuff on this board. Anything more than 1/2 inch wide gets 1/8 inch seams. Make a whole quilt top with that stuff and you'd be surprised how nice it looks.
After that, what's left can go into pet beds or floor mats. I especially like the pockets idea. Not too many in a pocket though, so that it will dry faster. Make pocketed mats for animals, babies, picnics, cars, you name it. If you don't like the washing thing, make a removable cover. Sometimes you can get scrap/ripped-out zippers for such things for little or nothing.

And don't put too many scraps out for the birds. Vets say that could give the baby birds pneumonia because the scraps don't dry as fast as natural material.
Have fun using up your scraps.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 AM

I have 14 grandchildren & they LOVE to get in my scrappy scraps. I give then paper, scissors, glue stick & they create some great art! Maybe a daycare near you would be interested.