Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Professional Tote Bag Question >

Mini Professional Tote Bag Question

Mini Professional Tote Bag Question

Old 08-11-2018, 02:13 AM

Default Mini Professional Tote Bag Question

I did a search of the forum for this question but it seems the last time the mini was discussed was last year and the Professional Tote was discussed in 2016. Don't know how I missed this pattern for so long! Anyway I came across the Professional Tote in a quilt shop recently but she was out of patterns and only offered to those taking a class. I did a search for the pattern and discovered that there was a mini version and decided that it might meet my needs more.
So I purchased the pattern for the mini professional tote and while reading all the instructions saw that the mini used elastic for the end pockets. I was wondering how the elastic end/side pockets hold up after using? I have made a bag before that used elastic in the top of a pockets in the same place and they ended up being pretty useless, the elastic stretched out, things other than tissues would fall out, etc.
I know the Professional tote has a drawstring cord stop closure and wonder if that would not be a better choice for those pockets in the mini version?
Also, has anyone made this mini tote using both decor bond and soft and stable on the main body pieces? I want it to stand alone and not sag. Her directions do not address soft and stable in the mini pattern.
Any thoughts? Tips? or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Murphy
Old 08-12-2018, 03:12 AM

I use only elastic now after the change came out on the smaller size. I have made over 30 of these and no one has brought one back and said the elastic didn’t hold. I like the elastic better than the cord with cord locks. It gives a “cleaner” finish.

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
I did a search of the forum for this question but it seems the last time the mini was discussed was last year and the Professional Tote was discussed in 2016. Don't know how I missed this pattern for so long! Anyway I came across the Professional Tote in a quilt shop recently but she was out of patterns and only offered to those taking a class. I did a search for the pattern and discovered that there was a mini version and decided that it might meet my needs more.
So I purchased the pattern for the mini professional tote and while reading all the instructions saw that the mini used elastic for the end pockets. I was wondering how the elastic end/side pockets hold up after using? I have made a bag before that used elastic in the top of a pockets in the same place and they ended up being pretty useless, the elastic stretched out, things other than tissues would fall out, etc.
I know the Professional tote has a drawstring cord stop closure and wonder if that would not be a better choice for those pockets in the mini version?
Also, has anyone made this mini tote using both decor bond and soft and stable on the main body pieces? I want it to stand alone and not sag. Her directions do not address soft and stable in the mini pattern.
Any thoughts? Tips? or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Murphy
Old 08-13-2018, 01:44 AM

Thank you for your response. I will stick with the elastic.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:57 AM

I have a Vera Badely that has elastic in the pockets and, well it is about 12 years old and still is look'en good.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:49 AM

When I put elastic in the top of a pocket, I make the finished pocket “hand to the thumb” deep. It holds things better, and can still hold a small water bottle, and nothing is to deep to reach.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:53 AM

I made the Professional Tote and hate those poofy pockets on the end of a bag so I just made a regular pocket with a finished edge. I rarely use it, but can put a bottle of water in there if I want.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I made the Professional Tote and hate those poofy pockets on the end of a bag so I just made a regular pocket with a finished edge. I rarely use it, but can put a bottle of water in there if I want.
Thanks Cashs_mom. I have started sewing it together and will go ahead and make this one as the pattern calls for but agree with you on those pockets on the end, maybe these will be more "serviceable" than the last one I made. These are bigger. Other than a bottle of water (which I don't generally carry, I use a Contigo bottle) not sure what could go in those type pockets.
Murphy
Old 08-14-2018, 06:00 AM

Thanks Cashs_mom. I have started sewing it together and will go ahead and make this one as the pattern calls for but agree with you on those pockets on the end, maybe these will be more "serviceable" than the last one I made. These are bigger. Other than a bottle of water (which I don't generally carry, I use a Contigo bottle) not sure what could go in those type pockets.
Murphy
That's me! I rarely carry a water bottle with me and even when I do, I can put one in the regular pocket (I don't carry the big bottles of water)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
That's me! I rarely carry a water bottle with me and even when I do, I can put one in the regular pocket (I don't carry the big bottles of water)
Maybe we can start a new thread with the question: what DO YOU carry in those smallish pockets on the outside of a tote bag? I make all my handbags/totes and those outside pockets are on a lot of the patterns. Most times I just leave them off after making the bag the first time. They just don't seem secure enough for anything of value. This time I have started thinking about what to use them for, and the only other thing I can think of is maybe a little bottle of hand sanitizer or a roll of life savers. LOL some days a wet washcloth would be nice to have.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:03 AM

Maybe we can start a new thread with the question: what DO YOU carry in those smallish pockets on the outside of a tote bag? I make all my handbags/totes and those outside pockets are on a lot of the patterns. Most times I just leave them off after making the bag the first time. They just don't seem secure enough for anything of value. This time I have started thinking about what to use them for, and the only other thing I can think of is maybe a little bottle of hand sanitizer or a roll of life savers. LOL some days a wet washcloth would be nice to have.
I use one of those pockets as a good place to drop my keys so I don’t have to dig for them when my hands are full. If there are two of them, the other holds a nail file and clippers since I am forever breaking them since they are so thin.