Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: mini rough draft of quit

mini rough draft of quit

I have been struggling, trying to decide if I liked the colors for the next quilt that I want to make. I used colored pencils on graph paper, I played with fabric on my design wall, and finally I got the idea to cut out some fabric and make a mini version of the quilt. Now that worked well enough that I am starting to cut out fabric next.

Here is a picture of my next quilt, in a mini draft, leaning up on the stacks of the fabrics I have chosen for the quilt. There will be 10 shades of blue in one ribbon and 10 shades of purple in the other ribbon, with white for the background.

I will use this method of figuring out what I want again. It probably isn't a new idea, but it sure was a new idea for me. You might give it a try if you struggle as much as I do with decisions....

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great idea. You've shown yourself the path you want to take and now will be happy as you create. Much better than just plunging ahead and then second guessing yourself the whole time. Now you can just enjoy the process.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Power Poster
    Pretty colors -

Did you just cut pieces to approximate the layout?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Pretty colors -

Did you just cut pieces to approximate the layout?

Sort of. I made a copy of the pattern...and then I cut out pieces of fabric and taped them to the parts I was wondering about.

Dina

Oh WOW! That is going to be beautiful. Love those two colors together. Please share with us on your progress.

If it purple and turquoise (that is what my computer shows the colour as) then there is never a question in my mind but that it will be gorgeous. I have drawn out a couple of patterns and used colour pencils to colour them. If it is a complex pattern it also helps me to understand it and to remember it. I save them in a binder with other notes.

Blog Entries
    yep, my colors. i hope to make a purple quilt soon. maybe with turquoise.... maybe not. looks like it will be wonderful though!

Those fabrics are gorgeous together! Can't wait to see what you create

Lovely colors, great pattern. What's not to like? I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Love love love the colors!!! would never thought to put those together....love the block, can't wait to see it when it's finished....

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Sort of. I made a copy of the pattern...and then I cut out pieces of fabric and taped them to the parts I was wondering about.

Dina
    I think it was Doreen Speckmann who said something like

"You don't really know how it's going to look until the pieces are cut and next to each other"

More than once I've had fabrics in bolts looking great together, but then I was not thrilled with them when I had them made up into blocks.

Is the pattern one you purchased? It looks quite intricate.....what will the size of each block be. Will,you use all 10 colors in each block, like a DWR?

I went to a local fabric store on Saturday and came home with 10 fabric pieces=you guessed it= purple and turquoise with touches of green. Can't miss color scheme. I like your idea of choosing a pattern for your lovely fabrics. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Is the pattern one you purchased? It looks quite intricate.....what will the size of each block be. Will,you use all 10 colors in each block, like a DWR?
    Yes, the pattern is called X Factor Bargello. One ribbon will have 10 shakes of purple and the other will have ten shades of turquoise. It is a complicated pattern, and I still havn't decided for sure on my purple fabrics. I will make that decision today. Fun, fun, fun!

Dina

Looks great !Please post when finished.

What a great idea! I've put fabrics together in all sorts of configurations in trying to figure out if I like them together, but I've never actually made a mini version of the quilt. It looks like it will be great!

DJ
    Clever way to audition your fabrics! It's going to be wonderful!

Excellent color choices! Will be so pretty together. Nice too that your iron, scissors & cover coordinate with the colors. Can't wait to see blocks & progress & finished quilt. Kathy

Love the colors. When your quilt is complete, please show us a picture??

Color choices are great and I love the block. Please keep us updated and post pics!
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

Blog Entries
    love your colors. so pretty
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Can't wait to see this one.

Blog Entries
    lovely colors together...............

Is that what one block will look like, or what the finished quilt will look like? My mind doesn't seem to want to "compute" what I am looking at. I hate aging!!!

I absolutely love your color combination! Can't go wrong with purple and turquoise. Ir will be stunning when done!

I, too, have drafted blocks and then colored them with colored pencils or crayons. When I am working on a complex pattern, I've also enlarged and copied the pattern, then colored in the blocks with whatever colors I am planning on using. Helps me keep the colors straight in the pattern.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    Is that what one block will look like, or what the finished quilt will look like? My mind doesn't seem to want to "compute" what I am looking at. I hate aging!!!

I absolutely love your color combination! Can't go wrong with purple and turquoise. Ir will be stunning when done!

I, too, have drafted blocks and then colored them with colored pencils or crayons. When I am working on a complex pattern, I've also enlarged and copied the pattern, then colored in the blocks with whatever colors I am planning on using. Helps me keep the colors straight in the pattern.
    My mini-quilt is just that....it isn't a block, it is what the whole quilt will look like. It will be queen sized... Each ribbon will have ten shades of the color. Google X Factor Bargello quilt and you will see it in black and red. I really like it in red and black, but I have a red and black Bargello that I designed already. That is why I was relieved that my turquoise and purple colors look good in this pattern. I am in the process of cutting out 180 2 inch x WOF fabric strips!!

Dina