Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minky ........HELP! >

Minky ........HELP!

Minky ........HELP!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Default Minky ........HELP!

This will be my first quilt back with minky fabric. I'm not even real sure how to ask this question~but, how taut do you pull this fabric before sewing? I am going to try and checkerboard the back with this, but I am scared to death of how it is going to stretch out of shape before I even start!!!!!

Once again, thanks for your help! Seems like I can't do a quilt without asking questions!

Tonya
Old 02-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Are you on a long arm or regular sewing machine? I know Minky stretches more one way than the other. I have not quilted with a Minky back yet so I can't offer any tips.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:12 AM

I can't help you either, but, don't worry about asking questions. these folk are very willing to help you. Wait on. Someone will be on here to help you.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

I saw on Jenny Doan's MSQC website where she had a retreat at the company. One of the questions was about the minky fabric and how to sew with it. Lots of questions and lots of answers.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 AM

I will be on a regular sewing machine! Thanks tessagin~ I will check out MSQC for the info
Old 02-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

If you are using a domestic sewing machine, I believe the only hope you have of quilting it is to quilt it upside down with the minky on the top. Otherwise, as you move the quilt, the minky will most likely shift. I sewed some small simple pillowcase with eggcrate foam and it worked to give comfort to a disable person in a wheel chair but it looked like a toddler had sewn it from the shifting of doing a rolled seam!! On a long arm, you are not moving the quilt but instead moving the sewing machine over the quilt so I think doing it that way is possible. There have been post on this subject. Try doing an ADVANCE search and type in Minky and select posts. Good Luck !!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:12 PM

I've done it on my DSM. I used cotton batting & spray basted with 505. I quilted with the Minky on top. It came out great.
Also I use Fray-Check around the edges after cutting to eliminate all the shedding.

Last edited by FancyFoot; 02-07-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 PM

I've made several small quilts where I pieced 10" blocks of minky for one side and used cotton on the other side with no batting in the middle. One of the quilts used a beautiful jungle print that I didn't want to cut up. These quilts look great with either side up.

Minky sheds A LOT! You will be sneezing Minky fluff for days. As I cut my blocks of minky, I put safety pins along the two stretchy sides. After I laid them out on the floor, I made sure that each stretchy side (marked with a pin) never matched up with another stretchy side. Worked great.

Regardless of if your quilt is pieced with cotton using minky as a whole piece, or using minky pieced and the cotton as a whole piece, I would suggest that you simply lay them out flat on the floor and safety pin the layers together. Try not to pull the minky taut.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 PM

I actually just finished quilting a Cal-king size quilt with Minky for the backing on my domestic sewing machine. I can tell you from first hand experience that spray basting is a must! Also do not pull the minky taught at all. You simply want to get it flat and all the wrinkles smoothed out. I also use machingers, a super slider and a halo. I dont think you need to use all those gadgets, they just help me keep from getting all tense. I do recommend the machingers or any glove with grippy finger tips though to anyone trying to FMQ on a domestic. Oh also - don't try to "wing" the tension either. Do a test run on a scrap sandwich.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 AM

I am totally scared of this minky. I think this one will be cotton backed. I am just too scared to mess it up. It has already been the quilt from he!!.....