Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minky Issue >

Minky Issue

Minky Issue

Old 05-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Default Minky Issue

HELP, I've quilted different types of minky before. But today, the minky is coming up through the batting onto the top. I have changed my needle twice. First a new 4.0 110/18 than t a 3.5 10/16. Still coming up. I have a Gammill classic. Any suggestions would b most helpful.
Thanks,
JanisM
Old 05-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Is the top fabric a thin weave? Also does your batting have a right and wrong side, so that flipping it over might keep the minky (and presumably the batting?) from coming through? Or maybe use a thicker batting, or two layers? A smaller needle might also help. I haven't worked with minky, but I understand some of it sheds more than others.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Is the Minky fluff that is coming through attached or maybe just loose fuzz? If it is coming up through the batt, I am thinking it might be loose fuzz and you can pull it out? In an inconspicuous spot, try a gentle pull with a pair of tweezers.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:41 PM

Hi, I've tried a smaller needle, it didn't really help. I think the batt she gave me was a warn-n-Nat'l. I will flip it and see how that works. And yes it is a thin weave where it is coming up. Thanks, Janis
Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 PM

Warm & Natural has a right and wrong side to it. This picture helps me keep it straight!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately I think there is no solution to this problem. I had the same problem a year ago and posted it about it here. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t217781.html

The tufts were not loose but the actual pile migrating up through the top. I did a bit of on line research and came across many other LAQ who have experienced this problem and the general consensus was it is the nature of the beast, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I have not had the patience or the courage to give Minkee a second chance, even though I love it's silky luxurious soft texture.

I too tried changing needle sizes both ways, going larger and smaller. I was quilting with a poly batting and the top fabric was not a loose weave. One thing I didn't try was changing to a more slippery thread. I was using a cotton thread and it is possible the cotton fibers were coaxing the minkee fibers up through the batting and top. Perhaps switching to a poly thread or a super fine thread like bottom line or So Fine (or even more fine silk or invisifil) will help. W&N is a dense batting and if it isn't keeping those minkee fibers from migrating through, I really don't know what will help if anything. I think some minkees just have a really high pile and others don't which may be why so many have been able to quilt with it as a backing without issue.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I used Minky once and that cured me. Yes, it is soft and cuddly but it is a very wicked fabric to control with any type of sewing machine. I have two large pieces hanging in my sewing closet and I am not sure what I am going to do with it!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I used Minky once and that cured me. Yes, it is soft and cuddly but it is a very wicked fabric to control with any type of sewing machine. I have two large pieces hanging in my sewing closet and I am not sure what I am going to do with it!
oh ditto!!! I bought it for a baby quilt, for making contrast 4" square pieces in a simple pattern. It drove me nuts and I gave all of it, cut and uncut, to a lady on the Board who makes stuffed animals for charity
Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the input, I think you are right. There is no fix. I looked at the batt again its not heavy enough to be w-n-nat''l. I'm thinking it is Tuscany unbleached cotton. I did flip it and that helped a bit. I'm thinking of trying a darker thread to help hide it. If that doesn't work I'll be calling the customer.
Thanks again,
Janis
Old 06-13-2014, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the pic of the batting and info - that is good to know!