Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minky quality >

Minky quality

Minky quality

Old 02-24-2024, 08:14 AM

Default Minky quality

Has anyone used minky as backing that was not purchased at a quilt store? I believe most are made in China. I bought some at Hobby Lobby to use on a baby quilt but I’m having second thoughts. I’d appreciate any input 😊
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2024, 12:27 PM

Shannon Fabrics makes the best quality brand of minky. I've had to work with some other brands that are so stretchy that they're very difficult to work with.

If it's soft and not too stretchy, it will probably be just fine.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:41 PM

Actually, last time I bought some, I believe the end of the bolt said made in Vietnam. Admittedly this was several years ago. I have never been very impressed with the quality of fabric at Hobby Lobby, to me it's in the same category as Walmart and Joann's.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:16 PM

I have made a couple with hobby lobby minky and it has been fine. I have some from Joann's but haven't used it yet.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:00 AM

When I used minky for backing (not my choice), I used newspaper underneath while stitching. It kept the fur out of machine and gave the feed dog something to grab.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:07 AM

I've used minky from Hobby Lobby, it was fine, all minky seems slippery to me. I just take my time and make sure I don't stretch it while I'm sewing. I like sewing with it better than using fleece.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:06 AM

Yes! I have used Hobby lobby minky with no issues. Here is the post showing photos of the all about me quilt I backed with minky and brought the back to the front for binding to have a minky binding. I have used shannon minky as well. To keep the minky soft be careful not to put in a hot dryer. No matter what brand you choose a hot dryer makes the minky stiff.

All about Me quilt

Last edited by copycat; 02-26-2024 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:32 AM

It can stretch out of shape easily. When cutting stretchy fabrics, I use wash away tape centered on the cutting line first. Cut down the center of the tape. It will help keep the edges of the fabric in shape and flat.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:57 AM

I did get some with the bumps on it. Its a common “print”. Looks like balls all over it? It felt like plastic. Weird stuff. I am not positive but i believe it came from Walmart?? Just feel it and decide if you like it. I suspect its all fairly the same
Old 02-27-2024, 12:50 PM

Thanks for all of the replies, they are very helpful. I compared my hobby lobby minky with some from a quilt shop and
they have about the same amount of stretch and softness. I've decided to go ahead and use it on my baby quilt.
Thanks again!