Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Minky tips please! How to contain the mess.

Minky tips please! How to contain the mess.

I just finished a quilt with minky as the backing and batting. I used a repurposed throw so the edges were all finished until the very end when I cut them to bind. The quilt is so super soft!!

I didn't have an issue with pinning and quilting but I know from a past experience how messy minky can be.

I've been asked to make another throw with a minky back. I have yardage of minky that I'd like to use. The selvedge ends will be finished so no mess there. I'm wondering if I should cut the minky much too large purposely, turn over the cut ends right away and enclose them in some scrap fabric. I think that would contain all the mess during the quilting at least.

Any other ideas?

Blog Entries
    no ideas from me. I just made an alligator out of minkee. it was almost impossible to pin, bending pins a few times. I used the daisy topped pins. I had no fuzz, using the raised dot pattern. good luck.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I stay away from minky.

My only issue is all the fuzz. It makes the coziest quilt backs!

I love minky and I just surrender and then vacuum

I LOVE Minky! It's only messy when you cut it. Have a vacuum ready, and suck up the fuzz right after you cut it. If it's already got fuzz on it, roll it in a cool dryer for about 10 minutes. At the shop, we use a microfiber dusting glove (from the $1 store), to sweep it off of the cutting table onto the floor. Sometimes the fuzz gets so thick, it gets slippery. Then we vacuum the floor when the day is done.
    Annette in Utah

I love working with minky, I like to use it as a backing for quilts and I quilt on a LA.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Thanks to both "sunshines" and myert. You had an interesting suggestion Annette. If I understand you correctly there is a finite amount of fuzz that is created when the minky is cut? So you are saying that if I cut and then rush it to the dryer to remove the fuzz, that will be it? Or did I misunderstand? That would be great if that's the case!

I keep scraps of batting to wipe off my cutting mat and keep the vacuum close!
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

Quote Originally Posted by LilaKay View Post
    I keep scraps of batting to wipe off my cutting mat and keep the vacuum close!
    Thanks. That's a great tip!

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
    Thanks to both "sunshines" and myert. You had an interesting suggestion Annette. If I understand you correctly there is a finite amount of fuzz that is created when the minky is cut? So you are saying that if I cut and then rush it to the dryer to remove the fuzz, that will be it? Or did I misunderstand? That would be great if that's the case!
    Does the cut edge not keep shedding, until buried inside the quilt?

I really don't know anything about using minky, so am all ears!
    ... I SO want to use minky in a quilt for myself, but am totally intimidated by it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I cut the minky and then toss it in the dryer to remove the fuzz from the cut edge. I read to wear a silk like robe over your clothing when you sew with minky so you won't be wearing the fuzz all day.

Edited because I misread your reply copycat!

To clarify - if I cut the minky and then throw it in the dryer (no heat), does that remove all the fuzz that the cutting created? Is any new fuzz produced by the minky if I don't make any more cuts? I've been reading on the web and that seems to be the case but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 07-14-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Watching with interest....I have some minky and was going to back a recent quilt with it. I chickened out at the last minute....I have enough trouble with pincord and flannel.

I've done a lot of minky. Quite the mess. One suggestion is after cutting give it a good shake outside. Then throw it in a cool dryer for 10 minutes or so. Won't prevent a mess but it does help cut down on the fuzz factor.

One of Shannon Fabric's tips on sewing with minky/cuddle is to put it in the dryer for 10 minutes with a damp cloth to eliminate the 'dust'. I tried it and it seemed to work well, just be aware that every time you cut it you have new 'dust'. No, it does not keep 'dusting' cuz it does not ravel.
    Lorie Astwood

Those who laugh last!

Bernina 830 Record, Memorycraft 5000, TinLizzie18 ESP Ltd.; Brother Innovis NQ1400E, Janome 640D Serger

Thank you mengler and Lorie. That's excellent advice. I will do exactly that.