Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Minky - wide for 83 inch quilt?

Minky - wide for 83 inch quilt?

I haven't been able to find really wide minky. Can I stitch two pieces together or will that make a big bump in the middle of it, like fleece does?

You can stitch two pieces together, but it will make a bit of a bump. I'd just trim the seam allowance the best I could, or serge it (to prevent fraying) and then sew or fuse it down.

I have sewn 2 pieces together and the bump was not an issue. The issue that I had was the "nap" of the material. The way the pile lays on pieces compared to the other pieces.. you can tell plain as day that they were 2 different pieces... maybe that won't matter on your project, but just wanted to let you know what I ran into

Be sure to trim off the selvege. That should minimize the bump. I'm not sure about Minky, but I've used flat-fel seams on fleece, and not have trouble with bumps (I trimmed off the selvege.)

Blog Entries
    I've pieced minkie for backings lots of time- a 'bump' has never been an issue- neither was nap- I bought 6 yards of minkie, cut it in half (2- 3yd pieces) sewed the salvage edges together using a 1/2" seam (inside the salvage edge) then trimmed the salvages off. opened the seam (I didn't press with an iron- I just smoothed it open with my fingers). the bulk was not noticeable when the quilt was quilted.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I put a piece on each side with the largest in the middle and 2 smaller pieces on each side. I had to order more fabric to accomplish this but could also 'watch ' the nap so it was all going in the same direction. I did this on a T-shirt quilt that I tied with out a batting and didn't have any noticeable bumps.

thanks everyone. You've made me feel more comfortable with this issue. I've made a lot of quilts for this woman and she always insists on Minky on the back. Every time I work with it I swear it's the last time. Boy, that stuff makes a mess!!