Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: mirrors - where to obtain?

Power Poster

mirrors - where to obtain?

I'm looking for small mirrors to tape together to preview fabrics for kaleidoscope type blocks.

Way back when - many companies would give out plain small mirrors - about 2 x 4 inches (or so) as advertising pieces for women to carry in their purses.

The only mirrors I've seen recently are hand mirrors that wouldn't work out well for previewing kaleidoscope effects on fabrics.

Any one know where to look for them now?

Plain, lightweight mirrors - or the plastic (or whatever it is) reflective surfaces that would work?

You can purchase a manufactured set online. I found this link at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Desig.../dp/1571207996 They are called Quilters Design Mirrors. I went the much cheaper route and went to Hobby Lobby and got 2 mirrors for less than $4.00 (they were packaged together and are roughly 2.5 x 4"... set them up with my 60* triangle and duct taped them at that angle. They aren't so pretty but they do get the job done! Good Luck.

Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I'm looking for small mirrors to tape together to preview fabrics for kaleidoscope type blocks.

Way back when - many companies would give out plain small mirrors - about 2 x 4 inches (or so) as advertising pieces for women to carry in their purses.

The only mirrors I've seen recently are hand mirrors that wouldn't work out well for previewing kaleidoscope effects on fabrics.

Any one know where to look for them now?

Plain, lightweight mirrors - or the plastic (or whatever it is) reflective surfaces that would work?
    I recently read a post a the person mentioned they got their mirrors in the candle section .
    i ordered mine on line. Just Google kaleidoscope mirrors. I think I paid something like $10

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

QM
    My DH dropped my cheap 16x48" wall mirror. oops. He then used a glass cutter and duct tape to create my kaleidescope tool.

I took mine out of powder makeup compacts from $1 store. They were square and I duct taped them together, found a leather coin purse that one of the boys made in scouts way back when they did lacing, etc. and carry it in my purse.

I bought mine at the $ $tore. EAch framed with plastic and had magnets on the back, labelled as "Locker Mirrors" for school lockers. About 4"x6"

Brought them home, duct taped them together, so they open up, and close with mirrors together. The plastic protects from breakage, as well as cutting your fingers! And, they're always in my truck, just in case I find some fabric I want to check out!

More substantial than any of the commercially made "official" kaleido mirrors!
    And at a buck each, certainly a huge dollar saver!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Power Poster
    Thanks, everyone!

Dollar Store - here I come!