Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mitering Corners of a Quilt >

Mitering Corners of a Quilt

Mitering Corners of a Quilt

Old 09-29-2013, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
Riley Blake Designs did one that helped me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVnU...A6EDCC361F2F2m - it worked for me.
Thats very helpful -- thanks for posting !
Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 AM

The best thing I ever saw was a youtube video. Most of it is same ol', same ol' but the part I always recall when I'm doing a binding is her behest of "no snouts allowed" - it really does make a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuQ0eiRS8U
Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 AM

This is part of my post on binding problems. There is more in Posts #33 and #35. Those posts also expain how to join the ends of the binding in a mitered seam that looks like all the other seams in the binding.

I don't take the quilt out of the machine when I get to the corner. I sew up to a seam-width from the corner (if your binding will be 3/8" wide, stop at 3/8" from the corner. Turn quilt 45 degrees away from you and sew right into the corner, but keep the needle in the last stitch. You may have to back up one stitch to keep the needle still in fabric. Turn the quilt so that it is in position to sew down the next side. Lift folded edge of binding and pull loose binding down toward you. You've just created a big wrinkle in the binding. Pinch this wrinkle and lay it flat to the left. You've just created the perfect folded corner. If you need to, lift the needle now, but don't move the quilt too far away from the needle area. Be sure the fold in the binding is even with the last side, and edges of binding and quilt are even along the next side. Give binding a little tug so that it lies flat. Move the quilt so that the needle is at the next seam line. You will have one seam width of loose thread there. Just leave it, don't cut it off. Start sewing down the next side, no need to back-stitch.

Happy quilting
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 AM

That is very helpful. Thanks so much!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 AM

Thank you so much!! I will try this method.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:03 AM

Wonderful!! I will try this!! Thanks so much!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:34 AM

There is a great tutorial on the Moda Bake Shop site with the instructions for the Patchwork Life Quilt instructions. She has great pictures, too. Never seen it explained clearer. Check it out.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:15 AM

Default mitering borders.

Another good Tutorial is from Missouri Star Quilt Co. They are all good. Somewhere earlier this Summer, I saw that if we start the binding on the left side, that it keeps the eye moving onto the right. We read from left to right, and any "flubs" won't be seen if we help the quilt viewer read to the right of the quilt. I just finished a binding on a wall hanging, and appreciated the hint from Heirloom Quilts Tut about having the tails of the binding tuck into a pocket instead of stitching. This prevents a bulky appearance on the binding where the 2 ends are joined. Mariah