Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Moda fabric does it need tobe pre-washed??

Moda fabric does it need tobe pre-washed??

I just bought a quilt kit of little apples by Aneela Hoey, with fat squares..do i need to pre-was the fabric..The kit is an easy sew kit with easy cutting...so i am thinking not. But there is red and white fabric and i do not want any bleeding! Thanks any suggestions are helpful..this is my first quilt!

Blog Entries
    I probably wouldn't for a kit...it might shrink and you not have enough fabric to finish it.

Blog Entries
    you could do a color test on the reds any fabrics you are afraid may bleed ( use a soft white cloth- get it wet- rub the fabric) if color comes off you may want to pre-wash- if no color comes off you don't have to worry about it.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I wouldn't wash this fabric since it's in a kit. Check the label if there is any in the kit, there may be some instructions there.

Will you wash the finnished product? Moda is a good brand but that said I have only had two pieces of fabric run over the last ten years and both Moda, one was blue and the other orange. I agree that if you prewash there might not be enough. I have had this several times with kits. Like one person mentioned can you try and test to see if it would run?
    Anna Quilts

I have had issues with Moda reds in the past , so do pre-test !

When you wash the quilt, use a couple of "Color Catchers" (Bounce?) if you decide not to prewash. I've had very good luck with them!

I read this tip somewhere and use it everytime I consider not pre-washing (I mostly pre-wash). Wet a corner of the fabric you're testing and a small piece of white fabric. With right sides together, heat with iron until both are dry. If there is color transfer, it is not colorfast.

I never prewash any fabric that goes into a quilt, just my garment fabric.
    If you have reds, I do think color catchers are good ideas.

I absolutely love moda fabric and plan on sewing up a handbag for my friend and I, but I can't afford paying $10 a yard for it. I looked on ebay and various other online fabric stores, but they didn't have anything.

Remember that all fabric is treated with formaldehyde. It comes from overseas, and is required by law to be treated to kill any insects. Nasty stuff. I work in an LQS, and by the end of a day of cutting, my hands are sticky from the chemicals on the fabric.
    I prewash everything except precuts, but am sure to wash the finished project in that case.
    If you zigzag the edges before washing, there will be no ravelling.