Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Moda Fat 1/8's - a good idea?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Moda will be offering fat 1/8 (9" x 22") bundles of some of their upcoming collections.

Would you personally find more use for these? Or their previous offerings: FQ bundles, layer cakes, charm packs, or jelly rolls?

If you're the type to figure the yardage you're getting, one of these fat 1/8 bundles is about the same amount of fabric as TWO layer cakes, but it probably cost about $10 less than two layer cakes would. :-)

no. i think everyone is getting ripped off on these sort of cuts. Ready for the reactions ;-)

I don't think I would use fat eighths. Just too small for me.

I am personally not a precut kind of gal because I like to prewash everything before I start handling it. The only precuts I would buy are FQ and only when my LQS have a great sale on them. I generally can wash a FQ after clipping the corners with not much problems.

I agree with Candi-don't buy precuts. I rarely buy FQs usually buy at least 1 or 2 yds. My cutting and sewing aren't accurate enough so I like to have extra fabric.

I do think I would like them, if they didnt cost too much...just because it would let me get a bunch for not TOO much money! I like varity, and I LOVE scrappy quilts......and I do prewash, but they would probaly be okay on gentle?

Blog Entries
    I'm not really into precuts either...I will buy fat quarters, but that's it.

I think it's a good idea. I've often wanted to buy the FQ collections - but at often over $100, it's just too pricey. If I can get the fat eighth collection for about half the price of the FQ collection, that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    I think it's a good idea. I've often wanted to buy the FQ collections - but at often over $100, it's just too pricey. If I can get the fat eighth collection for about half the price of the FQ collection, that would be great!
    you're right. I guess it's about how you want to spend your money and how you think about future quilts.

I have a bunch of precuts but find myself using my yardage first. I'm afraid I might not have enough fabric. I haven't bought precuts in a while now. I buy 2-4 yards at a time so I know I will have enough for whatever I'm doing.

I always buy yardage so I have extra for another quilt, lol. I never buy fat quarters, rolls or any of that stuff.

No I think all this stuff is way too small and I am not into mini quilts. My eyes are getting older and my body bigger. LOL

Blog Entries
    I add up how much yardage is actually in the set, and compare the price, and don't buy the specialty cuts. Waaaay too costly.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I really love pre-cuts and I never did before this year. I got into jelly rolls, charm squares, etc. They are so much fun!! But I still buy more yardage than anything. Fat eighths sound a little too small though.

Blog Entries
    I love charm packs and an occasional jelly roll. But a fat 8th's would just be way to small for me to figure out how to use.

I don't care for the pre-cuts for two reasons. I like to prewash, and I usually don't care for about half of the prints/colors in most of them.

Blog Entries
    I've used layer cakes and a turnover pack, but I'm less than thrilled. Usually in the collection there are some fabs that I would never buy. I'd rather just buy yardage of the prints that I like.

I would love them if the fabrics wee suitable for small applique pieces.

I think you have to look at the big picture. What do you want to do? How do you expect to accomplish that goal? When you start, all the answers become clear.

I like the charm packs and the layer cakes because you get to sample all or most of the fabric in a line. True, there are always one or two fabrics that heaven only knows why they are there...they're like rejects or something. Haven't found much use for the jellyrolls or other cuts. The charm packs are really nice for small or baby quilts. And I only buy on sale...they are pricey. So, fat-eights...have no use for them, not interested.

More and more I find I would rather do scrappy quilts. I have quite a few color co-ordinated fabrics for planned quilts. I would rather buy small amounts for the variety.I just can't make myself cut into my large pieces for fear I won't have enough for the planned project. Moda Bake Shop has such cute ideas for charm and other precuts, you just want to buy them all!!

I think many of the precuts end up costing at least double a yard and I am too cheap to waste that money (my opinion only). Even when I see FQ's I automtiacally convert the price to a per yard price and if it is ridiculous I won't buy it.

I am a scrap quilter, and have made several quilts out of Moda's charm squares (working on a hexagon right now). I love their fabrics and wish I could buy in quantity, but fat eight and fat quarter bundles are a great way to get a little bit of each collection. I find I have enough for a small project or they add to a larger project.

silly question - what is a jelly roll?

Fat 8ths are great for applique. Any place you need just small bits of a fabric.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast