Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Moda Marbles too thin? >

Are Moda Marbles too thin?

Are Moda Marbles too thin?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dingle
Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I love Moda Marbles, I buy them by the bolt! I also use a lot of Moda Bella solids... in fact I use more of both of those than anything else.
Have never used any one of these yet, but Missouri Quilt has the white Moda bella for the daily deal and was thinking about ordering. How is the weight on the solids?

Thanks
Moda Bella is comparable to Kona Solids. They are both broadcloth. The Moda Bella has a nice sheen to it and a soft, but not flimsy hand. I like it a lot. It's a bit more expensive than Kona, but worth it. It's not quite as rough. If the Bella is on special, I'd get some for sure.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 AM

I have been wondering why myself, lately I've been collecting Moda's SWIRLS, they are so cute and really make some other pieces look great, the do take an ironing well because they are thin but as I use them I wonder if they will be the first ones to "go" when my quilts are old. after handling these for a few minutes then to pick up something else makes me think I have more than one layer in my hand.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 AM

It is not entirely the thickness of the fabric that determines it's lasting qualities. The heirloom quilt that I had as a teenager in the 1960's (made in the 20's/30's) had many 'thin' fabrics in the small pieces of the double wedding ring design. It was the muslin of the large background pieces that wore out (in the 1980's), not necessarily the thinnest fabrics. Some of the thin fabrics had more tightly twisted fibers in the individual threads of the fabric than the muslin did and that contributed to the ability of the thin fabrics to hold up longer.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
It is not entirely the thickness of the fabric that determines it's lasting qualities. The heirloom quilt that I had as a teenager in the 1960's (made in the 20's/30's) had many 'thin' fabrics in the small pieces of the double wedding ring design. It was the muslin of the large background pieces that wore out (in the 1980's), not necessarily the thinnest fabrics. Some of the thin fabrics had more tightly twisted fibers in the individual threads of the fabric than the muslin did and that contributed to the ability of the thin fabrics to hold up longer.
good point. good fibers and bad fibers make a difference too
Old 10-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I must have the older Moda then, mine is not thinner than any other LQS fabric :D
However, I have seen Grama's quilts, and they have very thin fabrics in them and they are 80 years old and going!!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM

I noticed that about Moda Marbles, but I thought it was just me. I'd rather use something else-just seems too flimsy to me.