Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Modern quilt patterns?

Banned
    Does anyone have any recommendations (books, pattern sites, whatever) for more modern looking quilt designs? When I say that, I mean stuff that breaks from the traditional block pattern. I have a family member that has requested a non-traditional looking quilt (Quote: "None of that country-crafty look, please!")

Blog Entries
    Quilter's Warehouse has thousands of patterns of all types. Here's the link http://www.quilterswarehouse.com/s-1...-patterns.aspx

You can also check your local library. I live in a small community, but they have tons of quilting books at mine!

obviously :? your family member does not quilt! LOL
    I do traditional quilt blocks because the color and angles are what drew me to the craft. Modern colors (hot pink, apple green, neon blue) dramatically changes the look of a traditional block. A traditional quilt can be changed by using fabrics that feature subject matters not associated with "folksy" venue.
    it is a given that I probably don't have a clue of where you would go to find what is being requested, but there are numerous books at your local quilt shop that can lead you down the path. And, I know for a fact that there are many quilters in this forum who venture the unknown area of "modern".
    Check out a discussion of Art Nouveau on this thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/26703.page

Good luck!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Omak that contemporary fabric choices can bring some of the more traditional patterns bang up to date. But for something different, how about a One Block Wonder? :D

A bargello quilt would work. It doesn't have a single block in it! There are a whole bunch of bargello designs now too.

I'm kinda new to quilting, and I love the french braids. I'm not sure if they're considered traditional or not, but I love the look of them and would consider them less traditional than a lot of quilt patterns. Its on my long list of "to do's" one of these days!!!

Check you local library for these two books.

"The Modern Quilt Workshop: Patterns, Techniques, and Designs from the Funquilts Studio" by by Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle
    "Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects" by Denyse Schmidt
    You can also check her website http://www.dsquilts.com/ for insperation!

I love both of these books for "modern" patterns!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Our library has a great book and of course I can't remember the exact name right now but it has Patchwork in the title. The book has a section on non-traditional quilts. There is one called a Modern Grandmother's flower garden. Basically, there are various sized templates of a flower. Sort of a five petal generic flower. They have cut assorted flowers from all kinds of wild fabrics and appliqued it to a piece of cloth. The whole bed is covered with these crazy overlapping flowers. It is totally not my taste, yet somehow, I like it. I'd say the same technique could be applied to any geometric shape and make the quilt even more modern.

Absolutely beautiful.

Pat

Blog Entries
    Rivka, your family member sounds just like my daughter! lol!!!!
    Here's a picture of the one I did for her, I kind of copied one of her couch pillows! That way I knew she'd have to like it, as she loved her piillows! lol!!! And she does love it, it's on her couch. :D
    There's been several similar ones that's been posted too recently.
    :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd suggest Barb's Elegant
    http://www.barbsed.com/
    She paints her own fabric and it is awesome!!!
    j

Banned
    Wow, so many great ideas and information! Thank you, all of you :)

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    Rivka, have you purchased any quilting magazines lately? I have noticed a lot of great choices that are non-traditional in style and fabric choices. Mark Lipinski has a new magazine out and I believe many of his quilts are pretty non-traditional.

Hope this helps.

love that quilt

Blog Entries
    there are alot of free websites and designers that give free patterns for their fabrics as well..I know Moda does ..they have many different designers some of them less traditional.
    Also Amy butler has many free patterns on her website...I think some of the batik books are less traditional as well. Good luck!
    I just did a traditional folksy looking pattern with kind of elegant looking fabrics for a friend of mine..she picked out everything and I never would have chosen those fabrics for that project and it turned out great so sometimes we need to branch out and think out of the box.

Blog Entries
    My daughters and their friends, all thirty something, do not like the classic quilts because it does not fit their decorating style. Kitchens are all granite and stainless, modern living areas. They are into the Moda modern designers who put a modern spin on the quilts. Look at this modern nine patch:

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/10/...tch-quilt.html

Check out Ricky Tims Harmonic Convergence quilts, this is on my to do list. Fabric is the real wow factor in this tone, technique is pretty simple but results look stunning, this is on my to do list.

http://www.rickytims.com/convergence_gallery.htm

I just promised a friend that I would make her a quilt for her birthday. Her taste is very contemporary and I have spent a lot of time thinking about it so---- I am taking her to lunch and a quilt shop to look at fabric and talk about design. It should be fun and I can feel more confident about the colors and design. :-) I would hate to put the time and money into it and have it turn out to not fit her taste. Some of my work is contemporary and some more traditional. I'll let you know how it works out! :!:

Try the Bento Box pattern. It's very easy. I quilted each large square with circles.