Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Modifying a folding table to have an ironing surface.... >

Modifying a folding table to have an ironing surface....

Modifying a folding table to have an ironing surface....

Old 05-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Banned

Question Modifying a folding table to have an ironing surface....

Hi... I figured that someone here has probably already done this...

I have a 2' x 4' folding table that I use to the left of my sewing machine. I bought it at Sam's - it folds up to a really cool 2' square. So it's easy to take places. I really just needed something cheap when I moved in to my new house - and this was only about $35.

It has evolved into being perfect for me - I have a cutting mat to the left, and a uber-cheap ironing pad that I bought at Target for $6 on the right... closest to my sewing machine table that is in front of me, obviously. I love having that 18" of space to iron right next to me - and I just use one of those travel size Rowentas when I'm sewing so I don't have a big iron and big iron heat next to me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474683[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking of having my son make a board of some sort to wrap that silver ironing fabric around and have him drill holes through the table to secure this ironing surface down to the table.

So here's the questions:

What is the name of that silver ironing board fabric so I can find a source for it online?
Or... are there other alternatives? (I do like this blue stuff - it's just not big enough.)
And do some of you have a good source to get a yard of it?

About securing it down...
If I have my son just use a piece of plywood, for instance, what batting can I use under the silver stuff so that the screw heads won't make bumps on the ironing surface? (that would drive me batty!)

Is there a lighter material - other than plywood - that maybe some of you have used to make an ironing surface?

I think this would be really cool for taking to retreats, etc.. because the ironing surface would just be attached.

I'm game for any ideas.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 2014-04-14-11.49.17-e1399388630755.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

The silver stuff I don't know but it is available at JAF. Not sure if I would want it screwed into a table that isn't wood. Might make the table heavier to carry. I like what you have. Smart idea with the smaller Rowenta Iron.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

The smaller size plywood the lighter it will be. You could just cut it down to size. 1/4" would be good and easy to carry. You could secure it with Velcro so it wouldn't move. Also non-skid shelving.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 AM

The silver cloth is called Therma Flec you can get it on the internet or from Joann's. Also, I wouldn't use plywood because that's going to be too heavy. I would use under lamen, it is a thin wooden flooring that you put under tile when you lay a floor. I don't think I would put screws into the table, I would try to think up some other method of securing it to the table top.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Why? It looks like a good setup now and that pad that you have is very portable.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Banned

Maybe secure it down with that mega-velcro stuff?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 AM

Default modfyinng table

I used a 12X12 piece of fiberboard, about the weight of pegboard, but no holes. check out you local home depot or Lowes they may have some in there scrap bin. I covered it with 2 layers of warm and natural, than a layer of muslin. Folded all to back and stapled. I do not have mine attached to anything. Have not had a problem with it moving. Small enough to fit in rolling case with my machine, or sit on the table next to me. I also have a wood folding TV try that I covered the top the same way. I usually take the TV tray to classes and retreats, larger ironing surface, easy to transport.

Last edited by Gramie bj; 05-06-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add on
Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

No need drill holes, it would be a pain to recover the board. If it shifts put the heavy duty waffle shelf liner under the board. I have this same size table bought at Sam's and it had adjustable heights. It's one of my favorite portable tables. I keep one in the trunk of my car for workshops and classes. I never have enough room sharing two or more to a table.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Banned

It really doesn't move around much. I guess I am wishing that i had more padding & "cush" under it.

And onebyone... yes... it is the same one. I really love this table. I have a second one that I bought for my granddaughter (she's 8) to use - she has her own Elna New Lotus and her own corner in my sewing area that is set up for her all of the time. I have it set to the lower height and we use a student task chair that has been dropped down to a really low height. It works really well for her. It's a great table for $35 or so.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Banned

Update:

I swung through Home Depot this afternoon.

And yeah... this seems like a mess waiting to happen.

I would like that mat to be slightly bigger - so now, at least for now, I'm on the hunt for this blue super-heat-resistant fabric that this mat is made out of.

Does anyone know who makes this aqua-blueish colored stuff?