Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: moment of pride and a question

moment of pride and a question

First the question:

I am quilting a blanket for my son due in 7 weeks (pictured below). The top is going to be blue and the backing is a Marvel Avengers print. Someone told me that if you put blue thread in the top, and white thread in the bobbin, then the blue thread will show on the top and the white on the bottom.

Is this true, or is it the other way around? Or does it not matter in the long run?

Now the moment of pride. Obviously I am VERY pregnant right now and getting down on the floor to lay out quilting lines ends badly. I have been seeing things for a design wall and my husband plans on making me one, someday. I happened to look at our double door that lead to the office...and genius struck! i managed to close the quilt in the doors, put the Sound of Music on for my daughter, and by the time Maria came running down the mountain in the opening scene I was pulling down the quilt and running to share my awesome idea! Hope it helps someone else out!

Name:  baby2.0.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  286.9 KBName:  baby2.1.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  362.9 KB

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Great job! Sounds like you might be nesting!

How cute your story is! Good Idea.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    sometimes- if your tension is not quite right- your top thread can show on the bottom- or bottom thread on top---if the top thread shows on the bottom you need to tighten the top tension a little bit- if your bobbin thread shows on the top you need to either loosen the top tension or tighten the bobbin tension...it's just a matter of having them even. before you start quilting on the quilt put together a small practice piece with top, batting, backing and the threads you want to use & do some (practicing) that way you can make any adjustments you may need before starting the 'real thing'
    congratulations on your soon to arrive baby
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thanks ckcowl! That really helps alot! And Cyn, I am definitely nesting. This is the second quilt I have worked on today and the doesn't count all the other little baby things. I blame my husband for getting me started. Monday he suggested we shampoo the carpets and I think that kicked the whole process off!

AWESOME idea --- what a great Mom you are -- innovative and uncompromising in your quest to see things through!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    sometimes- if your tension is not quite right- your top thread can show on the bottom- or bottom thread on top---if the top thread shows on the bottom you need to tighten the top tension a little bit- if your bobbin thread shows on the top you need to either loosen the top tension or tighten the bobbin tension...it's just a matter of having them even. before you start quilting on the quilt put together a small practice piece with top, batting, backing and the threads you want to use & do some (practicing) that way you can make any adjustments you may need before starting the 'real thing'
    congratulations on your soon to arrive baby
    Just what I was going to say.

Wow what a great story and a great quilt!!!! Best of luck!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter