Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Monthly Fat Quarter clubs >

Monthly Fat Quarter clubs

Monthly Fat Quarter clubs

Old 02-26-2019, 02:51 AM

Thanks for asking this question. I'm on a budget, but I do think I need to add more variety to my stash. Will check out some of these sources.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:11 AM

It is much too easy to build a 'stash' by buying fabric without a planned purpose. Then, what do you do with the collection of fabric? I have a fair sized stash and it well controlled. It is stored in plastic boxes by color. Each piece is labeled by size. But, I see it as an investment that someone else is going to use after my quilting days are done. If I could start over, I would not collect a stash but would buy fabric as I need it. I am sure, that I would be money ahead even if I paid full price for what I actually use. So, no, I do not think subscription clubs are a good idea. At least not for me.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

I get the Sew Sampler each month and like it. It's fun to be surprised and I like most of what I've received. It's not just fabric but other things like tools, etc. If it starts not being fun I'll cancel.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:07 AM

I too prefer to pick out my own fat quarters, because I hate paying for fabric that I pick up and say "ewww". With that being said I must have 200 fat quarters in my stash, along with jelly rolls, layer cakes, charm squares and yardages.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 AM

Well 8 fat quarters breaks down to 2 yards of fabric for 19.99; that's 9.99 a yard; so not totally unreasonable given that most fabric per yard at a good quilt store is 10.99 and up per yard. I'd check youtube and see if they have quilts made with fat quarters. I saw one done on the Donna Jordan videos. I don't remember the name off hand. There are sure to be some out there.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:51 AM

I wouldn't join because I'm on such a tight budget; that said, it might be a nice way to expand one's stash past the usual and predictable choices we all make - in other words, to get out of our own rut once in a while.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:58 AM

If I ever need to buy anything...like a backing....I usually end up at Quilted Twins.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:31 AM

I belong to Annie's, which is about $24 a month for 6 FQ and a pattern. I know it's a bit pricey, but I love the coordinated fabrics and I really like the different patterns. I am a bit obsessed with FQ anyway, so it's my one indulgence in fabric.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:38 AM

I would like to thank you all for taking the time to answer. I was given some nice suggestions to go check out. I realize a monthly fat quarter subscription isn't everyone's cup of tea. I am a new quilter so building a small stash won't hurt me. Many times if I am trying a new pattern I grab a couple fat quarters to try the blocks out before I cut into the fabric intended for the project. This is perfect for the few fat quarters I get that aren't exactly my taste.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
If I ever need to buy anything...like a backing....I usually end up at Quilted Twins.
I wasn't aware of this site. I see many of their bundles are marked as MDG classics. Would that stand for Marshall's Dry Goods? I have heard of them but have not had the chance to try any of their fabrics yet. Their prices seem to be good though.