Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moonbeam's  memory quilt >

Moonbeam's memory quilt

Moonbeam's memory quilt

Old 08-16-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by geckos42
My daughter came to know a woman in Australia during their respective pregnancies. Their babies were diagnosed at 22 weeks with the same heart defect. Her son died after 26 hours - a week before my granddaughter's birth. I got to know her via the Internet and my daughter. It was heartbreaking. The expectation was that my granddaughter wouldn't survive either. Babies with this anomaly usually die during labor.

I cried for days. As you know, my granddaughter survived, but her upcoming surgery is a reminder of LIFE's fragility.

Anyway, I NEEDED to DO something to support and express my sympathy for this young family. Australia is a LONG way from Arizona. I contacted her and told her I wanted to plant a tree in her son's memory. (I hadn't begun quilting yet.) There's a plaque (I painted) at the base of the tree with "In memory of Connor" on it and a LIVING reminder of a significant, albeit brief life.

I'm not bragging, just sharing that in times of grief sometimes we too need to DO SOMETHING not only for the family, but also for ourselves to work through our own grief.

I find quilting very therapeutic and the hours I spend working on quilts gives me time to think about the recipient and how a quilt brings immeasurable comfort - in MANY ways.

Hope you don't mind me getting off subject.
I applaud you sharing that; you didn't get totally "off-subject". You're right, sharing with others brings about healing & working through our own grief. "A burden shared is a burden halved"-unknown :roll:
Old 08-20-2011, 12:03 PM

I am so sorry about your grandson. My 14 year old grandson has a problem with his heart. Doctors have been watching it since he was born. He has to go for a stress test next week as he just made the Freshman football team. He may need an angioplasty. Our great grandson born May 21 has the same condition only more serious. He had an angioplasty interuterine four months before he was born. Granddaughter had to go to Boston for his birth and over a month after his birth. He had three or four angioplasties. They are watching him very closely. They may have to go back to Boston for more procedures. We pray and take it one day at a time. His seems to be a strong willed baby which is apparently helping him. Doctors and nurses in Boston were amazed at his progress. The power of prayer!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:08 PM

It is so wonderful that you made something for the parents - and the quilt is lovely, just perfect for this occasion.