Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moratorium on Fabric Spending >

Moratorium on Fabric Spending

Moratorium on Fabric Spending

Old 08-01-2012, 04:45 PM

I have to stop buying fabric I don't need; and am having a difficult time accepting that fact. It is just so much fun to enter a quilt shop....see the new fabric lines....feel the fabrics....then chose which ones you want to bring home with you. My stash is quite sufficient to make many quilts and hubby is out of work for health reasons, so he is justified in requesting that I stop spending for a while and use what I have. Doesn't mean I like it!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 PM

I joined the bandwagon and did quite well for awhile... then a number of trips to Lancaster, PA, CL estate sale that I went the day before it started, some fabulous online sales, hit fabric stores wherever we travelled (Hawaii, Japan, Utah, Virginia, Texas, Alabama and San Diego- how could I pass up Quilt in a Day and Cozy Quilts and a few others too...) and the infamous CL sale where the shopaholic sold her FQs for 10/$1-all neatly folded, too.
I cleaned the sewing room last week and realized that I have more stash than one should have acquired in two years so I am back on this bandwagon. I have more than a handful of finished tops that just need the backings pieced or cut and then quilted. I have cut & boxed about 6 new projects and am still cutting fabric this week to start on a Bonnie Hunter creation. I had cut 2.5" strips but now need to cut down a lot of those to 2.5" squares. Oh, don't we love our fabric????

Last edited by AUQuilter; 08-01-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Congratulations Blackberry! I have certainly slowed down but have not abstained. The other day I was in a craft store and about fell over when I read the $17/yard tag on the flannel they were carrying. It was beautiful flannel with a real nice feel BUT, that is too much!
i suppose with prices like that, the moratorium should stay in place quite nicely, thank you!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM

Wow - I hope she is wrong about $15 / yard but I fear it is probably coming. I would fail at total fabric abstinence - I just try to keep it under control and use as a treat to myself. I just love fabric too much & espcially purchasing in fabric collections to give it up!

Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
I'm not one to buy a lot of large yardages, but have quite a stash of smaller pieces. The other day I was in a LQS that is going out of business and chatting with the lady working there. She told me that they are hearing that by fall the new cottons will be 15.00 per yd. and I get to worrying that I'll not be able to enjoy my hobby with prices going up! And should I buy up sale fabrics now? Also, cotton clothing and underwear is supposedly going to really go up in price. Hard to figure the future out, isn't it?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I tried to stop buying a few times.. but when I fall of the wagon... I fall off hard.
Me, too... and I land on a big pile of new fabric that needs to come home with me... LOL!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:36 AM

After the Keepsake Quilting Summer Sale in June that I attended and spent around $300 and got tons of fabric and a quilting frame for 3 bucks, I decided I needed to buy no new fabrics until I got my stash really cut down. I have had to buy some backing but that is it. I have 6 quilts pieced that I need to finish, and have finished 2 others, and still haven't made a dent in my stash. I should be sewing now lol.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 AM

I have been trying to not buy fabric with some success. Between what I have bought , been given and purchased at yard sales my stash is huge. I feel it is out of control. I have only been buying a couple of fabrics here and there to finish up a project. A lot of my yard sale fabric just isn't me so that is what I use for quilt backs and donation quilts. Most of my quilt backs are pieced so I don't have to purchase any fabric. I recently finished a queen sized quilt and only had to purchase the binding since nothing in my stash was quilt right. I have also made several baby quilts from my stash. Good luck to everyone trying to clean out their stash. I stil need to make a scrap quilt since I have a drawer crammed with scraps.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 AM

This is the second year that I have joined the Fabric Moratorium. And to date, the only purchases I have made were 2 yds of black and 2 yards of beige. Other than that, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, I have not purchased any fabric from either an online or mortar block store. My mass stash is dewindling, and I can see that a fabric run may be in the near future, but, not yet. I am using ugly fabric for backing and you would be surprised at how that UGLY fat quarter will fit into a scrappy block. Anyway, I can honestly say that in 19 months, I have ventured into a fabric store once and bought the black and beige, and had I not been getting my sewing machine looked at, I probably wouldn' t have bought those fabrics either. Keep up the good work ladies and gentlemen, for those of you that have been in the Fabric Moratorium successfully. And to those of you that are trying...also keep up the good work.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
Perhaps you could have your friend shop the "LQS" that is your stash first! ;-)

I just fell off the wagon. . . Couldn't pass up some gorgeous fabric a QB member was selling! However, I loved your idea about having him shop my stash first. He has agreed to purchase 3 yards out of my stash so I can put in the new fabric I just bought from the QB! So, does that really count as "falling off the wagon"????
Old 08-02-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Instead of thinking of her as the "evil twin", think of her as "the fabric fairy". She is like the tooth fairy, fabric gets used up, and she gives more than was used.
Love that! The next 3 days will be a major test of wills-Sewing Expo at convention center 15 min. from my house, I'm leaving in a few min. & plan to be there all 3 days! Woo Hoo!!!!