Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More About Irons - - >

More About Irons - -

More About Irons - -

Old 09-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Default More About Irons - -

After reading the thread here about the Oliso (I've been lusting after one of those) but all the reviews everywhere I've looked were so varied........most were "BOOOOOOs". Given the price, I'm not about to "see for myself". I've paid a fortune for Rowenta steam irons, and they all leak after a while. And, I've taken very good care of them. I've bought the least expensive to the high-end.........all with the same results.

I have wondered why in the world some mfg. company won't get the idea that there are a lot of us who just might prefer a dry iron.........(I had them in the early 50's, one mfg. was Sunbeam, and another was GE. I think I had both at one time or another, because I dropped one on the floor and it broke.

The only dry iron I've found is the "Continental" and I bought it from Amazon. Of course, it is made in China........and doesn't even come close to the "good 'ol days irons". It "works", but it's very "wimpy".

Am I the only one that would love to have a choice in irons? One without the "holes" in the soleplate.....and just "spritz" instead of steam whenever I want? One that heats up to really hot, and gets the job done?

Would love to hear opinions from all you quilters! Perhaps we could start a dry iron petition to some mfg. company right here in the good 'ol US of A! (hehe). Seriously, my thoughts are that they could make at least a small fortune by giving us a choice to either buy a steam or a dry iron......one that WORKS!

~skeetersmom

Last edited by skeetersmom; 09-02-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: misspelled brand
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM

I just finished watching Carol Doak's paper piecing video on The Quilt Show. She uses a dry iron that she found at The Vermont Country Store.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...Dry_Iron/42277
Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
I just finished watching Carol Doak's paper piecing video on The Quilt Show. She uses a dry iron that she found at The Vermont Country Store.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...Dry_Iron/42277
That is the Continental I was referring to that I bought at Amazon. The darned thing "looks" just right, but doesn't perform worth a darn!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 AM

I have been using a Rowenta Travel Iron since Feb. It is light, does not have the auto-off button, uses water if needed. I LOVE it. I can also set it up next to my sewing machine on a TV table to press my squares as I sew. I just purchased curtains & plugged in my full-size Rowenta to press them. The full-size Rowenta leaked. It was so heavy. I weighed it w/out water & it was 3.5 lbs! The next day I ironed with my travel iron & was very happy. The travel iron did not leak - one fill-up ironed a 50"x 84" curtain.

Thanks, Marilee
Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I've been using the V100 Digital Velocity Steam iron since my Rowenta broke. It has excellent steam, and I've been happy with it as a dry iron also. It's made so that it can't leak, and you can bypass the auto-shutoff mode. What's more, customer service has been excellent. I bought a reconditioned one and am very happy with it.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Oops! I went back and checked the video again. If I understood it right this time, Carol Doak uses an older dry iron, and mentioned that dry irons were available at the Vermont Country Store. Thanks for the feed back on the Continental.

I've been passively looking for a dry iron and after yesterday's quilting project, I'm upping that desire to an active search. My little pieces kept getting caught in the holes on my iron. I did a Google Images search and there are pictures of many irons.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dry+iron&client=firefox-a&hs=O7Z&rls=org.mozilla:en-US official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qtQkUoSVGcjyqQHTjIH4Bw&ved=0CFgQsAQ&biw=1234&bih=838

There are also many listed on eBay - this was just one of them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oster-He...-/190810434440

Looks like this may take more research!

Last edited by KarenK; 09-02-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Banned

This is the iron I have, use and LOVE!!!

I got my Reliable V100 Digital Velocity on ebay refurbished
for $80.

Well worth the cost to me.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I've been using the V100 Digital Velocity Steam iron since my Rowenta broke. It has excellent steam, and I've been happy with it as a dry iron also. It's made so that it can't leak, and you can bypass the auto-shutoff mode. What's more, customer service has been excellent. I bought a reconditioned one and am very happy with it.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

I have had the same old GE iron for years. It used to be a steam/self cleaning iron but it got so it spit water where I didn't want it so I just stopped putting water in it. I keep a spray bottle with water nearby if I want it. I have replaced the plug end a couple of times and it is still going strong.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Thrift stores get old dry irons in. My husband was the manager for awhile and had the ladies save them for me. I gave 2 away and still have 3. Can't use one because it gets too hot. I like them when I don't need steam. Best of all, they don't shut off.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:05 PM

I just bought
Oliso - love how it just pops up and so much better than it having to stand up. I am not going to put water in it..every iron I have bought has leaked after a while. I am just using a spray bottle from now on.