Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More ?s about binding >

More ?s about binding

More ?s about binding

Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 PM

I like to use bias binding for most of my quilts, and absolutely for ones with curved edges. Also, it depends on how much fabric I have--if I'm running short of fabric for the binding, I'll do whatever fits best--usually straight of grain for something like that. I believe that bias binding will wear better than straight of grain, too.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

depends on the quilt and the binding fabric. some fabric may look better cut on the bias; you always need bias if going around curves, if you rounded your corners instead of straight corners and it is easier to (ease) your binding around the quilt if it is bias cut. if your quilt is just straight lines straight binding is ok to use...it's a personal choice
Old 02-19-2011, 04:20 AM

I use only bias, it wears much better and is easier to miter.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:28 AM

I use straight of grain but if I were to make a striped binding I would do it on the bias.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
bias is obviously good for use on curves, but there is another advantage of using it for even straight edge...it lasts longer. Remember that "rips" from simple wear and tear normally occur along the thread lines - either on grain or cross grain = you don't get rips on the bias. When you fold a straight grain binding over the edge of a quilt, it leaves one or two threads running right on the edge of the binding the whole way around...and if and when those threads get worn, a rip starts and continues along the edge of the quilt. With a bias binding, there is no one thread that runs along the edge...all threads cross it at an angle. If one of those threads gets worn, that one thread may break from the wear, but you don't get rips/slits appearing because adjacent bias threads hold the fabric together.
I agree...plus my Granny said to ALWAYS use bias binding and that is good enough for me!! LOL

When I started quilting, I researched this topic and found this information. It makes sense and explains why Granny said to always use bias binding and why her bindings from decades ago still look great.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:27 AM

I always use bias binding made from the continuous tube method and it is definately easier to handle and stitch and makes mitering corners much more manageable as well.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
bias is obviously good for use on curves, but there is another advantage of using it for even straight edge...it lasts longer. Remember that "rips" from simple wear and tear normally occur along the thread lines - either on grain or cross grain = you don't get rips on the bias. When you fold a straight grain binding over the edge of a quilt, it leaves one or two threads running right on the edge of the binding the whole way around...and if and when those threads get worn, a rip starts and continues along the edge of the quilt. With a bias binding, there is no one thread that runs along the edge...all threads cross it at an angle. If one of those threads gets worn, that one thread may break from the wear, but you don't get rips/slits appearing because adjacent bias threads hold the fabric together.
This is what my neighbor told me. Looks like she's right!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 AM

also a big THANKS to everyone who answered! Now to call my neighbor and tell her I've been converted to bias binings.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Linda B
I've only used straight, but I do have a question about bias binding: Is it more difficult to sew on because of the tendancy of bias to stretch?
I haven't found the stretch to be a problem...just the opposite. Because of the stretch, it's easier to work in any unevenness so the binding lays flat...but I make sure I don't stretch it as I stitch it in the first time.