Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More sad news. >

More sad news.

More sad news.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:00 AM

Default More sad news.

Just checking in on my emails this morning, got an email from MQX that they are cancelling their New England 2021 show as well as "closing permanently." I then went to their website, and all shows are cancelled. That is one of the two big shows in New England. So sad to read. Covid sure has changed how we live. 😔

​​​
Old 10-10-2020, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Several missed big quilt shows means no money being made or money to tide over. It's the state of travel that has stopped most bigger quilt shows. The local shows in my area are scheduled for 2021 as very few travel far to come.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:03 AM

That's sad, Quiltah Mama. I have faith that something new will arise eventually. A pandemic changes the world, but it doesn't mean we stop quilting and sharing.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:12 AM

That is definitely sad news. I do feel so bad for the businesses that have to close up for good. I noticed that some quilt shops are going to on-line fabric stores which will help them out too. But-a lot of sewers/quilters are digging into their stash (which most of us have) and using up fabrics of their own. I sure do miss all of the quilt shows in my area which I loved to go to. It is a change in this crazy world and I am not sure we will ever get back to any normalcy any time soon.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:08 PM

I couldn’t find anything on their website about not having the 2021 show, just that the 202 show was cancelled. Can you give a link?
Old 10-10-2020, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

So sad to hear of any businesses closing for good

Lots in my area just can't hang on any longer.

Daughter and I went to a local quilt shop today. They have tons and tons of fabrics but, quite costly. Daughter was able to find some marked down fabrics. I found a couple of Layer cakes for double slice quilt.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I couldn’t find anything on their website about not having the 2021 show, just that the 202 show was cancelled. Can you give a link?
The email they sent to folks who have been in the show in the past mentioned that they had decided to cancel the 2021 show due to difficulty in planning when there were so many unknowns about the virus, etc. But the main purpose of the email was to let people know that they were closing up shop for good. They were understandably concerned about 2021 after what happened in 2020. Their 2020 show was scheduled for spring and was already receiving quilts that had been shipped after being accepted into the show, when they got word that COVID shutdowns would prevent them from going forward with that show. So they had the expense of shipping all those quilts back to people without the income that would have come from admissions, etc. I would imagine that there were also expenses from paying for the event space that they couldn't recoup, and they probably had to refund vendor fees etc.

I suspect that's probably why AQS went ahead and cancelled everything for 2021 as well- too up in the air at this point to take a chance on it. I'm hopeful that by cancelling their shows for 2021 AQS will be in a position to continue with quilt week shows at some point in the future.

Road to California decided to not have a quilt show this year, though they are doing virtual classes, but they sent a notice around saying that they couldn't ask vendors to put up prize money when they (the vendors) weren't likely to make a lot of money doing a virtual event. Many of the vendors make most of their money at the in person quilt shows.

I hope we don't lose more shows and vendors.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 10-10-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

My city just had a big boat and gun show at the convention center last week. The parking lots were full. A RV show is scheduled too. Makes no sense some events are scheduled and some not because of Covid.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-11-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
It looks like they haven't updated the website yet, but Janet-Lee has been posting this in FB groups; here is an excerpt:

"The uncertainty about when a COVID vaccine will be available, how many will get vaccinated, whether large gatherings will be permitted at all, and the likely reduced class sizes, makes it (MQX 2021) impossible. Based on all this and the uncertain future, we have made the heartbreaking decision to close MQX Quilt Festivals permanently."
Old 10-11-2020, 05:54 PM

Rob is spot on with the reasons organizations are having to cancel shows for the foreseeable future. The KC Regional Quilt Fest is still "on" as of this time-but hard decisions lay ahead as it's sponsored by area guilds and deep pockets don't exist! The big expense for any show is the venue and convention centers are in the same boat of not being able to return deposits as they are trying to survive too. I'm thankful for all the organizations that are doing virtual as they are really a treat and those also take $$ for all the web stuff, not to mention that you have to get everyone up to speed using online for classes even. So thank you to those guilds and organizations that are forging ahead with virtual!