Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: More stolen quilts!

Banned
    Blog Entries

More stolen quilts!

A couple of weeks ago Patsy Thompson had quilts stolen out of her car.
    NOW Karen Combs had them stolen out of her rental car in New Braunfels, TX!
    Makes you wonder how the thieves KNOW it is a high profile quilter's car!
    Karen hopes to be able to post the pix of the stolen quilts soon!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    A couple of weeks ago Patsy Thompson had quilts stolen out of her car.
    NOW Karen Combs had them stolen out of her rental car in New Braunfels, TX!
    Makes you wonder how the thieves KNOW it is a high profile quilter's car!
    Karen hopes to be able to post the pix of the stolen quilts soon!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR, do the thieves not think we'll all be on the look out?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

How heartbreaking.

QM
    People will steal almost anything. Please lock your car when you leave your precious quilts inside. Also, check E Bay and Craigs list for the stolen quilts.

Blog Entries
    Even with locked doors they get in! My son and I was at a meeting in Dallas one year- he'd won a set of golf clubs!!! Now that is not a small piece of change - and we came out the next morning to find they'd smashed almost every window out of the car - it had to be a lucky hit - and the golf clubs were not to be seen in the car so they did not know when they broke the windows out that there was a thing worth breaking in for. He not only had to pay his deductible for the broken windows, he lost his golf clubs and on top of it because it was his homeowners policy that covered it - his home owners insurance went up the following billing period!!! So, talk about getting hit hard by a bunch of theives; I actually vowed to never return there ever again in my life! it is not worth the risk, and we were in a very nice hotel, and parking ramp etc... who would have thought?
    JO

Unfortunately there are people that target people at shows. They watch fro them when they leave and follow them. My husband is into an expensive hobby and this has happened to several of the dealers from the shows he attends. Some have even gone to the extreme of attaching a tracking device on the car they target so they are sure to be able to follow. They wait for the person to stop for food or the night on their way home and break into the car and steal everything. Some have even been beaten up. One they followed home and when he went into the house they cleaned out his car. Just be aware and keep your eyes open. They have caught some but items were long gone.

That is just terrible!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jad1044 View Post
    Even with locked doors they get in! My son and I was at a meeting in Dallas one year- he'd won a set of golf clubs!!! Now that is not a small piece of change - and we came out the next morning to find they'd smashed almost every window out of the car - it had to be a lucky hit - and the golf clubs were not to be seen in the car so they did not know when they broke the windows out that there was a thing worth breaking in for. He not only had to pay his deductible for the broken windows, he lost his golf clubs and on top of it because it was his homeowners policy that covered it - his home owners insurance went up the following billing period!!! So, talk about getting hit hard by a bunch of theives; I actually vowed to never return there ever again in my life! it is not worth the risk, and we were in a very nice hotel, and parking ramp etc... who would have thought?
    that is terrible..however vowing to never go back...sort of makes the thieves winners again! You can have that happen in any city/town across our great land...so either you stay home in your cozy prison and pray nobody ever breaks in there, or you go out and LIVE....I choose to live..what will be will be....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice View Post
    Unfortunately there are people that target people at shows. They watch fro them when they leave and follow them. My husband is into an expensive hobby and this has happened to several of the dealers from the shows he attends. Some have even gone to the extreme of attaching a tracking device on the car they target so they are sure to be able to follow. They wait for the person to stop for food or the night on their way home and break into the car and steal everything. Some have even been beaten up. One they followed home and when he went into the house they cleaned out his car. Just be aware and keep your eyes open. They have caught some but items were long gone.
    at the OKcity show in Jan two of the vendors from out of state had their trailers stolen! The thieves use them for portable meth labs!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    at the OKcity show in Jan two of the vendors from out of state had their trailers stolen! The thieves use them for portable meth labs!
    Please tell me that the thieves dumped the contents where they could be found,.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Spice View Post

Can the tables be turned and some sort of tracking device be attached to a sewing machine or slipped inside a hem or somehow hidden from site?

I'm guessing an unknowing thief would most likely try to fence a sewing machine rather than a quilt. On the other hand if the thief dumps the quilt, the quilt could be tracked, too.

Don't know what size or weight the tracking devices are.
    U N T I E

Banned
    Blog Entries
    actually MANY quilt/fiber artists are now Microchipping their works for this very reason!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Please tell me that the thieves dumped the contents where they could be found,.
    uuummm...no! I felt so bad for the vendor who came from Minnesota...it was their first time to OKcity...some welcome mat...

So I guess I should wonder about how decent a quilter I am. Hubby left the car unlocked in the driveway. I had a quilt in the car. All they took was the ashtray that contained about $2. 64 in change. The ashtray will go unreplaced because I don't smoke and it will cost about $50 for a new one. They left my quilt in the car! Guess they weren't too pleased with the pattern or fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    So I guess I should wonder about how decent a quilter I am. Hubby left the car unlocked in the driveway. I had a quilt in the car. All they took was the ashtray that contained about $2. 64 in change. The ashtray will go unreplaced because I don't smoke and it will cost about $50 for a new one. They left my quilt in the car! Guess they weren't too pleased with the pattern or fabric.
    On the other hand the quilt might not have fit in the coke machine! tee hee
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    A microchip won't help unless the item is scanned with a reader. Very unlikely unless the police find it and know the stolen item has the chip and then very few police dept have readers anyway. I have learned by pass experience having my car window broken out at motels to park right in front of the lobby. If I have to wait for a spot I will. I never park in the back or at the end. Anything left in the car goes in the trunk. I bought a battery door alarm that is easy to put in the trunk when I leave anything in there. It's loud! I bought it from one of the gadget catalogs a few years ago.
    I don't trust not having a low life somewhere close by where ever I am. It has cost me too much money and heartache to know that low lifes are everywhere. Even in my own driveway.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 03-17-2012 at 09:04 AM.
    Got fabric?

Your suggestions are good ones. Unexpected loud noises makes most people uncomfortable ... maybe thieves too. With everyone parking at the lobby maybe hotels/motels will take additional measures to protect customers.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    A microchip won't help unless the item is scanned with a reader. Very unlikely unless the police find it and know the stolen item has the chip and then very few police dept have readers anyway. I have learned by pass experience having my car window broken out at motels to park right in front of the lobby. If I have to wait for a spot I will. I never park in the back or at the end. Anything left in the car goes in the trunk. I bought a battery door alarm that is easy to put in the trunk when I leave anything in there. It's loud! I bought it from one of the gadget catalogs a few years ago.
    I don't trust not having a low life somewhere close by where ever I am. It has cost me too much money and heartache to know that low lifes are everywhere. Even in my own driveway.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

I never leave things in plain view. Everything is in the trunk, and I put it ion there before I park the car. So sad we have to do that

Sad angry to hear this, again! Jacquie - please post the link when it goes up so we can see the quilts & keep an eye out for them. I'm far away from where this happened but spend lots of time online surfing...
    Shannon

That is so sad. I hope all of these quilts are found. Anymore if I am doing a trunk show and staying over at a motel, I bring all my quilts inside and then reload in the morning. Lots of extra work, but just hurts my heart when quilts are stolen.

Blog Entries
    I hate to admit this, but I leave my doors unlocked for this very reason. I drive a soft top convertible and there's always that nagging feeling that someone would rather cut my top than bother open the unlocked doors. I don't keep anything important in my car, but I figure if someone wants my baseball cap badly enough, they can have it. Just don't vandalize my car too!
    We had a car stolen right out of our driveway last year! My husband (and all our mighty watch dogs) were in the house. He was between errands, no less so he could narrow down when it happened! We have a nice truck in the driveway that needs a new transmission and has a flat tire. I'm sure some dummy will get the bright idea to put fix-a-flat in the tire and think s/he can drive away in it! Of course, now the big thing is stealing the catalytic converter so we might be in a shock when we start it up!!
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I am getting the feeling someone on the circuit of quilters is stealing these.
    Has to be someone who knows where and when they are going to be checking in. Anyone
    can call and ask if they have checked in a hotel or motel then they know where they are and
    when to hit.

Todays world is in a sad shape. Money is the issue here and they need to go public with law
    enforcement to stop this from happening.
    Be vigilant out there ans stay safe.

Did she post them to the Lost Quilts Come home website?
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

OMG these stories are terrible. Oh well, the judicial system will give them a slap on the wrist IF they ever get caught anyway. So we all lose!!
    Dance like no one is watching

It is a shame to see things going this way. Where is the security at such places?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast