Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More than a bit concerned >

More than a bit concerned

More than a bit concerned

Old 03-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Default More than a bit concerned

After some serious thought, I decided to sell my first king sized paper pieced quilt ( my avatar) to a person in New Zealand. However, I have read that insuring things usually is a waste because they only will cover the fabric and not the creative parts. In this case the custom quilting cost was SUBSTANTIAL and taking a bath on that part might just prevent me from proceeding?

I am sure several members have experienced this problem and I would greatly appreciate hearing your suggestions as to how you proceeded?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Your information is partially correct. In order to be reimbursed for the fabric you would have to supply proof, meaning all your receipts. Do you have receipts for the fabric? I don't believe the insurer will take your receipt for custom quilting as a fair value should the worst happen. To my knowledge the only thing an insurer will take other than receipts is a certified appraisal. And even then, you may wish to insure the quilt independently, not use the insurance the postal or freight carrier offers.

I would recommend you find a certified quilt appraiser (AQS certifies appraisers) You will have to pay for an appraisal of the quilts value. Make sure the appraisal will suffice as a value for insurance loss purposes. That would be your best bet. A certified appraisal will probably run you over $100.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Here is a link to AQS certified appraisers in New York. http://www.americanquilter.com/about...s.php?state=NY
Old 03-04-2016, 10:53 AM

I have never been in your situation, but I would insure the package. Just for the piece of mind.

I would insure for the cost you are selling it for. Did you call UPS or Fed Ex (or whatever carrier you are going to use) Even if they will only give you the the materials that would be better than nothing.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Just make sure you package the quilt securely and attach your address along with whom it is going to onto the quilt. My friends sent a quilt for when her great nephew was born in a priority envelope but unfortunately, all that arrived was the label off the envelope. I always use stick glue first and then tape the label securely to the package.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:03 AM

Feline Fanatic is right, you'll need a certified appraisal. Even then, the shipping company will balk at paying out on any insurance claim. Many quilters who ship their quilts have a fine arts rider added to their homeowners insurance, and don't get additional insurance through the shipper. Not sure how it would work for an item for sale, though.

The appraisals on my quilts have cost around $50.

Janet
Old 03-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

also put it in a plastic bag in case the box gets wet but make a cloth one to slip the whole quilt in, plastic bag and all. name on bag and inside wouldn't hurt either. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Have a written appraisal done on the quilt. As long as you have the appraisal you can insure the quilt for the appraised ( insurance value) .
Old 03-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

AQSCertified appraisals have always cost me $50. And provide a written document of insurance value. I keep my appraisals for documentation on my home owners policy and also for shipping, carrier documentation.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

no help from me, only that your quilt is spectacular!!!!
I wouldn't be able to part with that quilt!