Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is more useful for your projects?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    A layer cake, jelly roll, or charm squares?

(For new quilters: a layer cake is a collection of 10" x 10" squares, jelly rolls are 2.5" x 44" strips, and charms are 5" x 5" squares.)

Mostly these come with about 40 pieces in each set. Is that a good number? Or would you like the option of being able to buy groups of 20 pieces too? (In case 40 is not enough, or too much.)

I've only used a jelly roll one time; it was okay but I wouldn't purchase one. I felt too limited by the color choice--some I would have liked more of, some I didn't use. I've never bought squares or or charms for this same reason.
    I rarely buy less than a yard of fabric at a time. This is just me though, because precuts seem to be very popular. (I also fear cutting wrong and not having enough fabric.) I like coordinating my own colors (even if they're not great) rather than using someone else's choices.

I love charms, I think because I LOVE scrap quilts with LOTS of varity, and never have LOTS of money, lol. They are usually affordable!

I think a jelly roll is probably the most versatile, so I'm more likely to buy those than the other pre-cuts.

Sometimes I buy a jelly roll with a layer cake or some charm packs. With this combination, a lot of the cutting is done and you can go right to work, putting together the quilt.

For me - charm squares.

Blog Entries
    if i'm working on a charm quilt or a nickle quilt then 5" charms squares are the way to go...if i'm working on a strip quilt or bargello...strips are the answer; if i'm working on a big-block or scrappy then 10" squares may be do-able.
    personally i seldom buy pre-cuts...i do not like to be limited by what i can do with my fabrics. i have received a few as gifts.
    the outer blocks around the crazy center of this quilt bali jelly rolls were used.

jelly roll blocks surounding silk crazy quilt center
    Name:  Attachment-154786.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  66.0 KB

I use charm squares, but I do want to start using Jelly Rolls. They are just more expensive.

If I don't have a project in mind I would buy a layer cake. I have a few projects "on the list" that use jelly rolls but otherwise I doubt I would purhase one.

I love jelly rolls and charm packs. Have a good supply-buy them on sale. Never used a layer cake but I did purchase sesveral when Connecting Threads had their sale before Christmas. Seems that they would be very useful since they are larger.

I have used all 3. Sometimes I don't want to have to think about putting colors together or have to cut it myself and the precuts are so handy. I'm not sure I would use packages of 20 though.

I have bought charm packs, i like them for fast quick tops, not bought any jelly rolls or layer cakes yet tho. Smaller packs of 20 would be good.

I have only used a jelly roll once , never the others. I guess I do not like being limited. I bought the jelly roll, actually a bali pop for a specific pattern, so do not just buy for stash like I do yardage.

Are you all sitting down for this?... I have never used any of them....
    I cringe when I see the prices then go and get fabric by the bolt. One of these days I might splurge....

I used Jelly Rolls for a king size log cabin quilt, which was my first quilt. I have also used charm packs for a quick controlled scrappy quilt.

At present I have a layer cake and some yardage of Moda Harmony that I do not know what to do with it.
    JulieM

Another one here has never used any. I've seen some very pretty ones I would like to have bought but just couldn' bring myself to pay the price. I would like to try the jelly rolls so when I see one on sale I like, I will buy it.

I do not typically buy pre- cuts. I do wish there was a 3 inch roll since alot of what I do is 1.5 strips. When I am out in the shops its the jelly rolls that make me stop and look.

I prefer to cut my own fabrics so have never bought any. I have such a huge stash that I figure I can find enough strips, squares etc. to make anything I can think of that is scrappy looking.

I've never used any of them. I think it depends on what you want to make with it! I want to do a stacked coins quilt, I'm looking at jelly rolls for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Are you all sitting down for this?... I have never used any of them....
    I cringe when I see the prices then go and get fabric by the bolt. One of these days I might splurge....
    I always cut my own....buy 1/4 extra in case I have a cutting mistake....I guess I am concerned about the pre-cuts - are they accurately cut? And if not, where would I get the cuts to replace them? Would like to try them, but would be upset if there were a cutting mistake at the prices charged.

I've never used any of them either. The price is ridiculous, I hate having someone else pick out what fabrics I 'should' use, I love to cut things for myself, I don't make scrappy quilts...should I go on? :lol: I don't even buy fat quarters unless the LQS has none of that particular fabric left on the bolt and I have to have it for a project. Sorry, I guess I'm no help to you. :(

I've never bought charms or layer cakes. I do have three batik jelly rolls that I'm going to use one of these day....

I guess I just prefer to cut my own stuff. And I also like to pick out my own fabric. So many times in charm packs and layer cakes there's fabrics in them that I just don't like.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NannySandy
    Another one here has never used any. I've seen some very pretty ones I would like to have bought but just couldn' bring myself to pay the price. I would like to try the jelly rolls so when I see one on sale I like, I will buy it.
    I just bought my first jelly roll on sale. It was still a little high to me but I like dirt cheap. I just wantedto do that real fast stripe quilt to see how it goes!

The smallest fabric I have ever purchased is a FQ, and I've just about quit buying them. I prefer to cut and match my own yardage.

I usually get jelly rolls when I find a good sale. Last summer found several at half price, so added them to my stash, have used one so far.

Blog Entries
    Well....I like FQ bundles the best...go figure!

Actually, I've bought 1 jelly roll and used it, the charm paks, etc.- I buy to use a gifts only. I don't care for them- too small.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast