Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important thing you've learned ....

Blog Entries
    Scant 1/4" seam vs. regular 1/4" seam. When it is important to use the scant and why it matters.

Blog Entries
    That there is a difference between ironing and pressing! And
    How to do a scant 1/4"

My list is long. I learned about starch, starch, starch; about color catchers; a lot about threads, fabrics, measurements; added a ton of links to my "favorites" and learned a lot from videos, etc., at those links. I kinda already knew the ins & outs of the scant 1/4" seam, but the details were still educational. It's hard to pick the most important thing. Two days ago, I made a small firm ironing board ... better for applique, bias, etc. than my big thickly padded ironing board ... that was useful info. I learned here. And when I can get to a DIY store and get a thick sheet of styrofoam, I'll surround my Janome 1600 with it, as I learned to do through this QB.

To be easier on myself and learn to explore more about colour and design. Plus all the important basic stuff, like measuring, cutting tips and the order in which to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    There are no mistakes only things that make each quilt unique. Each quilt has it's own personality, and no quilt is perfect.
    I must have the great stack of personsality quilts one could hsve. Just do not a single perfect quilt. And knowing that no longer brothers me as it used when I felt if I messed up a quilt I was dumb as a brick.

I learned that a lot of us use our seam rippers and sew barefoot. Don't know if this was the most important but heartwarming.

Keep your fingers away from moving needles.
    The edge of one's rotary cutter is really sharp.

And most important........

When faced with someone bigger than you, always aim for the knees. (Dad told me this, He was a Navy Man and taught all of us hand to hand combat.))

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Keep your fingers away from moving needles.
    The edge of one's rotary cutter is really sharp.

And most important........

When faced with someone bigger than you, always aim for the knees. (Dad told me this, He was a Navy Man and taught all of us hand to hand combat.))
    I love the third one! Being a shorty, it always worked for me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewslow
    I learned that a lot of us use our seam rippers and sew barefoot. Don't know if this was the most important but heartwarming.
    I don't know how you can sew barefoot! My tootsies would get cold and I seem to need a hard sole! Here are my favorite shoes...no kidding!

Aaah, now I can sew!
    Name:  Attachment-76691.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  62.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    That there is a difference between ironing and pressing! And
    How to do a scant 1/4"
    Amen!

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    it may work for you, but isn't necessarily true for me....and definitely vice versa..most quilters have cats or dogs.....& if it's ugly, just keep cutting it smaller!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    What is the most important thing (tip or lesson) you've learned from this "Bunch of Sew & Sews"? I'm talking about quilting here, not the friendship, generosity and admiration we all give and get from each other.

Mine is to Starch, starch, starch!

Enjoy your day!
    Yeah, me too!!! :thumbup:

Set seams before you press.
    Starch, Starch, Starch. Did I say starch.

Banned
    To turn the machine on before I sew ;)

How to make a huge ironing board, I love, love, love mine & am thinking how to fit a second one in my sewing room!!!

We learn by DOING, and practice leads to improvement.

Patience. And the you can do it. I like when someone shows a picture of their project then ads a tute to go along with it.. :thumbup: Learn lots that way.

i am a sort or new quilter. I read where you recommend starch, starch, starch. WHY? I spray some water on then press (water is easy to get). But I would like to know the reason for starch and the difference of using that or water. Thanks all. I am sure I will have more questions as I go along. Good thoughts

Banned

I don't know how you can sew barefoot! My tootsies would get cold and I seem to need a hard sole! Here are my favorite shoes...no kidding!
    Wow! Do you have to put a flea collar on those?? :lol: :lol:
    (just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

it doesn't REALLY matter to me if it's 'square', or it has 'points', as long as the colors in it are pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    i am a sort or new quilter. I read where you recommend starch, starch, starch. WHY? I spray some water on then press (water is easy to get). But I would like to know the reason for starch and the difference of using that or water. Thanks all. I am sure I will have more questions as I go along. Good thoughts
    Connie we like the starch because it makes the fabric more stable, makes cutting, peicing and pressing easier; I only used water for years , I like a nice sharp crease... but my cuts weren't always straight when I trimmed, and my blocks would end up distorted from pressing ... starch helps with all those problems. you should try it , if you don't like it, you can change again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    What is the most important thing (tip or lesson) you've learned from this "Bunch of Sew & Sews"? I'm talking about quilting here, not the friendship, generosity and admiration we all give and get from each other.

Mine is to Starch, starch, starch!

Enjoy your day!
    I'm a newbie...help me understand how you use the starch and what kind. Thanks! (Love all the photos of quilts!)

I have learned so many tidbits here and there, but the best thing I enjoy about this site is that I get sooooo much inspiration from all your pictures!!! Gets me in the mood to quilt!

Too Funny!!! Marsye

Patience. Walk away when I start making mistakes. Don't worry over the small mistakes. Enjoy my work and the end results even if it is not perfect. Also learn from what everyone else says.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast