Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Most self- critical about? >

Most self- critical about?

Most self- critical about?

Old 02-25-2022, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Default Most self- critical about?

When it comes to quilt making, is there one thing that matters most to You?

Pattern?
Colors/ fabrics used?
Piecing - Points/ Intersections?
Pressing?
Quilting?
binding?

How "perfect" does it have to be for you to be satisfied with your project?
Old 02-25-2022, 09:26 AM

I want the edges of my quilt to be straight, not rippled! Still working on that one. I understand the principles of how to get them straight, and am getting better. Currently I'm finishing up a baby quilt made from blocks I pieced over 10 years ago, at a time when I didn't understand so much about precision in piecing. Consequently, we have a serious rippled edge issue here. I have found that if I Elmer's glue baste before quilting, making sure the borders are heavily glued, I can pretty much pound those edges into submission and once they're quilted down much of the ripple disappears. That's my go-to solution when all else fails.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:53 AM

For me it is everything from start to finish, it is my own inner challenge to try and improve my skills. My limit is 3 corrections on something before I move on. I love the creative side of quilting as well as the challenge of various patterns and technique's. I am also a realist and accept my less than perfect block(s), border(s), bindings etc. .
Old 02-25-2022, 10:37 AM

LOL, I've written and deleted at least 10,000 words trying to answer this.

At this point in my quilting career I'm satisfied with most of my abilities and the biggest criteria I have for how well did I do, is how closely does the physical object match my mental vision.

Providing that it is well constructed and can hold up to the wash, my workmanship doesn't have to be perfect -- but it will look just fine, might not win any awards going over it with a magnifying glass but that's not what I'm trying to do. If I'm trying to make an award winner, well yeah, that takes a lot and I think I can... but I just don't want to.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

It all matters and I do my best to do them
as well as I can. Not always perfect but as good as I can
Old 02-25-2022, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

I have to be very interested in the pattern to begin with. One of those, "I love this" at first sight. Then the colors (for me) need to be of the correct era or colors to have it stay something I want to work on and hold my interest.
I am also a person who likes to make a big quilt and then something easy or small. It breaks up the work with play in that way for me.
I have been known to change my mind on something mid-stream and tear out until I like it again. Does that make sense? If something isn't right about it, I have a hard time finishing it.
Almost all of my quilts are for someone special from the start. Or something I know will bring a good amount of money for my diabetes charity auctions. Thier are certain ladies who love my work and try to outbid each other for them. So, I try and be as perfect as possible since I know the amount of people that will be touching them and buying them for gifts.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-25-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:59 AM

My main requirement is "is this quilt useful for something?" Second is"will it hold up to being machine washed as usual and machine dried?" And the third and most important "Is it finished?" I have way too many unfinished or not even started quilts. I am not aiming for perfection although I do get excited as I see that more and more of my points are actually points! and I get really excited when all the pieces fit together as they have so far in the latest BH mystery.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:06 PM

I, too, like Stitchtnripper and sewingpup, want my quilts to be useful and durable and loved because I put my best efforts and skills into each one.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:47 PM

I am my own worst critic. I am a perfectionist in my work, and can stress over the least "mistake". I want everything to be perfect, and know I can never achieve perfection. Every aspect needs to be perfect! I try to do the absolute best I can, and, if I can tell myself it's as good as it gets, I can call it done and move on. I will always look at my work and find faults or areas to improve on. My BFF quilts in a totally different style than I do, and when I see her quilts I think they are perfect....until she starts pointing out all her mistakes and missteps I could not see!

Last edited by Anniedeb; 02-25-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:01 PM

I do my best. Want the fabrics to look suitable for the pattern I choose. Sometimes the outcome is not what I pictured in my mind. Those are hard for me to finish. I am not good at FMQ so this is my least favorite part