Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Most wonderful quilt store

Most wonderful quilt store

My hubby and I are on vacation (Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks). This week we are in Kalispell, MT, using it as our base to Glacier and surrounding area. Went to breakfast and discovered the greatest quilt shop, Glacier Quilts, in the same shopping area. OH MY GOODNESS!! They have 50,000 bolts of fabric, they say, of every type you can imagine, tons of patterns, threads, notions, kits, wool, tools , etc., etc. I spent a lot of money today. And they have online shopping, of course. I am in big trouble, lol, since they can send me anything I could possibly want! My Glacier souvenirs are all cotton!

Congratulations! Have fun stitching with these fabrics!

Unfortunately their website is undergoing some work so there doesn't appear to be an online shopping option at present but I will keep looking. By the way, their website says "12,000+" bolts!! Happy travelling.

How exciting! I always buy fabric as a souvenir of a trip too. Much more useful than another t-shirt or mug
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    I am heading back to Glacier National Park next year, thanks for the information!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Blog Entries
    Glacier quilts is one of my favorites. Plan on a long...time to shop there!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wow you must have had some fun time there! I always try to find a fabric store in the areas we take trips too. What did your hubby say if anything? lol

Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North
    I agree Glacier Quilts is "da bomb"! Hubby & I are out for our 5th summer and when he asked if I "minded" if we visited Kalispell again for the 3rd time I mumbled something along the lines of sure, it's not a bad place, knowing full well Glacier Quilts here I come! My credit card is still smarting and I have found even new places to store my stash until we get home. Visiting quilt shops while we travel is my hobby and probably what keeps me sane being away from home for 5 months a year. OK, that and my featherweight. I love to visit shops in different areas of the country. Just to immerse in their locale and find out about local designers can be very interesting.
    Certified basketcase
    Diane

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    My husband seeks out the car museums in our travels and I look for the quilt shops. Fabric is my souvenir of choice. Sometimes I go in the car museums, sometimes he comes in the quilt shops. Either way we are both happy.

That certainly sounds like a fun place to visit!! It's always fun to see what fabrics are carried in other parts of the country.

Check out the Quilt Gallery, too. It's also wonderful!

My son and his family will be leaving today for the same area, he has bought some land up there somewhere, I was going to go but riding on that back seat in the pickup with my bad back would just be too much, I told him we could fly up next time. I'm excited for them, Chanc just loves Montana, goes everyother year at least. Will have to tell him to visit Kalispell and bring me a yard or two of special fabric, lol.

Is this the same shop that has been in Kalispel for years? If was at the beginning of town right next to a motel, maybe Super 8. The name doesn't sound right. The QS I went to years ago was fabulous. I love western fabric and they had tons of it.

Power Poster
    Isn't it great when you come upon a quilt shop unexpectantly - it's always fun to bring back "souvenours" that will make memorable quilts. When I get a chance to get away, I like to bring back at least 1-2 pieces of fabric instead of other souvenoirs. Sounds like you are having a great vacations. Enjoy.

My husband and I made a deal many moons ago. For every music store we visit, we visit one quilt shop. And neither one of us complains. When we travel, I know he will pack at least one if not two guitars and an amplifier, depending on where he will be playing, and I will pack at least one if not two sewing machines, depending on what I'm working on. We check in to a hotel, and he goes and makes music and I stay and sew (after I've checked out the hot tub LOL).

I love small quilt shops (& large ones, too). We have a cute little shop here in West Yellowstone, MT. It is combined with a yarn shop and packaging center, UPS,Fed Ex, etc. and the owner has some very cute animal & western themed fabrics, along with some beautiful blenders. It's nice to have her local as the nearest fabric shop is over 100 miles away !

I've been to all those places and it's BEAUTIFUL!!!! Glad you had such a great adventure. Congrats
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you're in Heaven! Enjoy!

Don't you just love finding places like that? When we travel, my hubby is so good about allowing extra travel time so I check out shops along the way.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Montana is full of some great quilt shops along the way to Glacier Park. I am just beginning to discover them. What really makes them special is the people that own them. Besides the big sky, and beautiful country, Montana is known for its friendly people. I have never been to Glacier Quilts but it is now on my "list of must visit quilt shops."

We have to head out tomorrow. Went back to Glacier Quilts and spent some more money today, lol. I have a friend we visited with yesterday up in Eureka that's a quilter and she was saying this shop has been in the area for years. Started out small and moved once or twice. Then when the new shopping center was being built, had her building built. Don't know if its the same one Clements asked about, but it could be.