Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Motor Coach Sewing? >

Motor Coach Sewing?

Motor Coach Sewing?

Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 PM

That never worked for me to sew while moving in our motor home. . But I have read many articles about lady truckers sewing on the rd. They set up in the back sleeping quarters. Some are very creative about their arrangement. They spend so much time on the rd. they need to be clever. You might Google that question to see what comes up.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:53 PM

We spend several weeks a year in our 5th wheel RV. I have a sewing maching i keep in the trailer. I always bring plenty of projects to work on. Mostly pieceing. Like suern3, i make up kits. After 2 weeks at the beach, I have plenty of quilting to do when I get home. Have fun traveling!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:42 AM

We travel in our Motorhome for 5 or 6 months each summer/fall, and I always set up my sewing area in the kitchen, we have a 6 foot counter, so I place my cutting mat and iron (reversible type mat on one side and ironing board on the reverse side).. we have a pull out table and my sew-ez tablejust fits under the table so I have the extra area and they work well together. We have 6 large drawers in the bedroom, for all my bobbins and threads, extra fabric and my tools, I have a 3-4 drawer cabinet, where I keep my magnet for picking up pins, etc., flexible lamp, light to make a light box, .copies, walking foot, extra paper - graph, copy and computer paper, various other tools. I travel with my cutting mat under the kitchen carpet and all my rulers under the mattress on the bed frame, I try to have everything cut before we leave, but take along a huge 36" x 36" x 6 deep, to carry anything I purchase while away, patterns, notions, and more fabric. My two sewing machines, usually travel with us, my Bernina 830 and Bernina 550 QE. I also take a lot of hand work, ribbon embroidery, knitting, crocheting and all the things I am working on for those projects. The thing that takes up a lot of room, is the batting, I make lots of microwave/oven mitts to give away while we camp and oven door hand towels. Many times while camping someone will get a new unit, and I always give them a gift of these items. [ATTACH=CONFIG]582350[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]582351[/ATTACH] I generally sew about 6 hours a day on one project or another, and even do mending for folks that need a repair. I would never sew while travelling and I don't think it is a good idea to sew while travelling, too many unforeseen things can happen.

We also take our laptop, Bose amplifier, and printer, so we have a good sound system, and can print/copy papers we seem to need while away. My husband thinks I carry too much sewing things, and makes for extra weight - even took the motorhome over the scales to see how much we weighed - 12 tons and the attendant didn't think we were too heavy, or at least he didn't appear to think it was too heavy. I think it is his tools, and other things he carries....LOL
Attached Thumbnails img_2446.jpg   img_2447.jpg  
Old 10-17-2017, 03:22 AM

Tess. Holy cow. She did it!

D. I'd love to see pics of your set up!
Old 10-17-2017, 04:21 AM

I have never left for a camping trip in our 5th wheel without my Pfaff sewing machine. I love to sew in the woods, or by the lake, or wherever we happen to be. I usually try to get a bunch of kits ready to take with me, but I have done some quilts from start. I very seldom quilt the quilt while camping, though I have quilted table runners and baby quilts. I prefer to quilt at home where I have more room. I've included some pictures of my setup.
Oops! Can't find the pictures. Anyway, I use my dining table as my sewing/cutting table. I use the kitchen sink area as my ironing station with a small travel ironing board, and I use my couch or bed as my design wall. I love sewing in my 5th wheel.
I am always surprised when we get home. It feels like we have a big house, and we don't. And I enjoy my 10 x 12 sewing room and am amazed at how much room I have. But - I am always very happy when we are planning a camping trip and I get to quilt in my 5th wheel.
I have even taken my embroidery unit and done machine embroidery while camping.
If you want to make it do, you can do it.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:22 AM

Our first year we had a 25' fifth wheel with slide (bought a used one and it was first we had been in - thought it was great and it was, it's a good thing because if we had shopped for one we could not have afforded to go!) Anyway.. had my Bernina with me at all times. A little tight but doable. Brought one box of fabric (carefully chosen) and one box of 'tools'. Had a ball. The next year DH found a sewing table on line that was small but sturdy and was able to drop the sewing machine in like a sewing table at home. a little folding chair and I was truly set and happy. We did get a little bigger trailer after a couple years and that made it even easier.
I don't think sewing on machine while driving down the road is a good idea but that's just me. Afraid I'll miss something
going by )
Go!! You meet the greatest people. We have since bought a house in Myrtle Beach and have a tiny trailer for vacations but I miss the trailer life style. So little to clean, so much time left for walking on the beach!!!!!
We also had a golden retriever and cat with us (still do)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:28 AM

We had a motorhome for years and I always took my small sewing machine. I would take several precut projects and work on them but never going down the road! I have enough trouble keeping my seams straight when the room is not moving! The stove in the motor home had a cover that went over the burners. I'd put a small ironing pad on top of that and it worked out great. The problem I had was the dinette was booth style and I had trouble reaching the foot pedal on the floor cuz I'm very short. Also scooching in and out of the booth seat was challenging.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Totally doable! While I do not sew while on the road ... I certainly set up after we are parked. Love it! No distractions like at home ... I do a lot of cutting out and usually sew simple things like table runners, blocks, etc. and wait to put blocks together at home. Have a great time!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 AM

We have taken a few RV trips, and usually I am so glad to get away, I don't worry about sewing! I enjoy the passing views and have seen quite a few barn quilts - we like the back roads once in a while. That being said, I have done some hand applique work in the evenings, and one year I finished a crewel kit that I purchased circa 1976. (An antique before it was completed!) I have contemplated taking my machine and working on a project or two in the evenings - we do have room to store some stuff, but so far it's been limited.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Redstilletos, sorry here is the only picture from the Motorhome , you can see how long this counter is and on the other side counter[ATTACH=CONFIG]582377[/ATTACH] I have our Kerurig coffee maker, bowl of fruit then my cutting mat and dutch oven. You can see my Bernina QE sewing machine behind me, along with laptop which I was working on. I never thought to take pictures of my sewing area, will have to do that once we go next summer. I believe this was on my Bday!
Attached Thumbnails img_1650.jpg