Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mountain Mist Gold  Quilt batting  from thrift store. Any good? >

Mountain Mist Gold Quilt batting from thrift store. Any good?

Mountain Mist Gold Quilt batting from thrift store. Any good?

Old 06-11-2016, 04:04 PM

Default Mountain Mist Gold Quilt batting from thrift store. Any good?

I bought some Mountain Mist Gold quilt batting (Stearns & Foster) from the thrift store. Haven't been able to find anything about it on the internet. The insert says 50% American cotton 50% Cotton Comber. It's not fusible, at least nothing on the bag says fusible. It may be pretty old.

Anybody know anything about this batting? Best way to get wrinkles out. It may have been sitting in the bag for a while. I only paid $1 for it so I figure it's worth the risk.
Thanks,
Old 06-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Here is what I found
http://www.batt-mart.com/site/490194/page/94080
Old 06-11-2016, 05:16 PM

Thanks Lisa, This must be old batting as it doesn't fit the description for gold batting or any of the others. I just hope its not the 100% cotton batting that they suggest for hand quilters as I NEVER hand quilt
Old 06-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

It's probably similar to the 100% cotton Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon batting I sometimes use. Love that batting. It is very thin and soft and gets even more soft with every washing. It is an old-fashioned batting so there is no scrim or chemical bonding agent in it. It's not necessary to totally remove wrinkles; they never showed in my finished quilts anyway. There are a couple of things you can do to get rid of the worst of the wrinkles. You can drape it over a table and chairs, mist with water, and let dry. If you have a large dryer, you can mist with water, wait a couple of minutes so the water absorbs, then tumble in the dryer for 10 minutes at a time. Some modern quilters don't like this type of batting because the results are so thin, especially compared to the thick comforter look we are all used to now. However, that is what vintage quilts were made with. If you ever have a chance to handle a vintage quilt made with cotton batting, you will discover that those quilts are very thin and soft. They also shrink with washing, giving the "crinkled" look that some quilters don't like. Personally, I love that vintage look and feel. Keep that look in mind, though, when choosing a top to quilt with this batting. A really modern top might do better with a polyester batting that doesn't shrink or crinkle.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:33 PM

I used MM Gold in an extra-long quillow for my husband, about 10 years ago. It has held up very well through many washings. I think you got a great bargain!

Daffy
Old 06-12-2016, 03:23 AM

Any batting can be machine quilted, no matter if it is suggested for use by handquilters. So don't worry about that. You just need to find out how far apart the quilting lines can be.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:01 AM

Make sure it doesn't pull apart easily in your hand. It would be horrible in the washing machine.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I don't remember that brand from MM either. Be sure to read any instructions on the width of your quilting.