Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Movers and Sewing Machines? >

Movers and Sewing Machines?

Movers and Sewing Machines?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

I have moved twice between states but at that time only had one sewing machine and I took it in the car. Granted it was a while ago but the advice I received was don't send it in the truck, packed or not. But glad to hear they can make it. We are moving to another state in a few months but my son lives there and we've made several trips with the car loaded with my sewing machines and they are at his house. I only have 4 left here now and they will drive with me too. Unless I collect another one or two before the move.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:53 PM

I wouldn't. I just saw a hugely cracked Bernina from a mover on a board last week
Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 PM

The ONLY way I would trust movers with my machines, is if and ONLY if I took out the extra insurance. I've seen things happen with UPS, so like I said ONLY with the extra insurance. It never costs that much extra, but better safe than sorry. If moving out of the area, I would also get a written statement from my sewing machine repair man as to the condition of my machines before the move. This can help if you have to file a for any damages. Good luck with your move.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:39 AM

I moved my entire collection of 20 or so machines 3 years ago. All the antique machines had to come out of their cabinets; I did that myself. I taped all the miscellaneous hardware to the underside of the machine or table, as appropriate, with painter's tape. Each machine was labeled with painter's tape as to which cabinet it came from. The movers put each machine in a separate box, well padded, wrapped with the plastic wrapping. The heavy machines then went into a second box that was also padded. Everything came through perfectly.

This is was a standard corporate move, not an antique specialty company.

Pam
Old 06-30-2015, 05:42 AM

Last time we moved I pack my only machine at the time in its box packed with my fabric all around it. This was my only choice as brings it with me was not an option either.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:18 AM

Extra insurance, photos before and after, opening and checking before signing off--all excellent suggestions and I would follow each one. After making more moves than I can count on both hand (and feet!!!) there have been great experiences, okay experiences and a couple of 'Oh Crap' experiences.

I think it comes down to how vigilant you are during the pack-up. It really depends on WHO is doing the packing. There is a very different level of responsibility if you are doing your own packing or if the moving company is packing for you.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:23 AM

I've moved quite a bit and always let the movers pack the sewing machines. Depends on size how they'll pack it. Never had any problem.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I moved my entire collection of 20 or so machines 3 years ago. All the antique machines had to come out of their cabinets; Pam
A few months (or years) back, I heard of a machine move. The movers put a treadle cabinet with a heavy machine into the back of the truck. During the move, the truck went over a big bump. That lifted the machine into the air, and when it came back down, it smashed the cabinet. So. . . always take the machines out of cabinets as Pam does.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:12 PM

I will be moving soon also, so thanks for all the info. Hadn't given much thought to the machines because the movers say they are well insured
Old 06-30-2015, 03:34 PM

I did a move from Canada to Panama several years ago with my Bernina, no problems. It was packed in it's original shipping box and travelled by truck, train, ship, train and truck again. It was insured for replacement cost and I was required to provide a signed statement from an electrician that it (and other electrical/electronic devices were in good working order). We're doing another overseas move at the end of the month. I think I will also get the packers to build a special crate for the Bernina. I do worry about it - if something happens to it repair will be impossible in the country we are moving to, and forget about finding a replacement locally. It will take many months to have a new Bernina shipped to me, added to the 3-4 months that it will take to find out if it survived the journey intact. I have my fingers and toes crossed