Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Movies involving quilting?

Question Movies involving quilting?

Our retreat committee suggested showing a movie one evening that involved quilting. They were not suggesting a technique movie/DVD, rather something women would enjoy for fun. Does anyone know of such movies? I am at a loss and would appreciate your help and ideas.

Susquelion
    If life hands you scraps, make a quilt.

Wasn't there a quilt movie about 8 or 10 years ago - it had Wynona Rider in it - she came home and learned all these wonderful stories about her family during quilting bees. I just don't remember the name - I willl see if I can look it up - Oh, just found it " How to make an American Quilt" - I never actually watched the movie so I don't know if there is a lot of quilting in it. That is the only one I can think of.
    Otis

How To Make An American Quilt with Winona Ryder. It came out in 1995. It's a love story and there's some quilting in it.

and it was/is a good movie ... for a love story.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

I love that movie. The quilt they made was beautiful.

Blog Entries
    What was the movie with Sandra Bullock in it and the fertility quilt ? Hang on will Google it- not much about quilting in it - typical Sandra Bullock movie but a nice quilt
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    The Proposal ! LOL
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

There are some wonderful documentaries out there, well worth the price, but my definition of fun may be different.

Blog Entries
    The best movie that is great for family viewing and has lots of quilts is an old Disney one called So Dear To My Heart.
    I laughed until I cried at the goat scene. The quilts are called 'quivers' in the movie, slang for 'covers'. It's a great movie and Burl Ives sings Lavender Blue in it. It would be perfect for your quilt group.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I found a clip of the movie that shows a quilt and the lady piecing nine patch blocks!http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041890/
    Got fabric?

I enjoy watching How to make an American Quilt, it's something even my DD enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter View Post
    How To Make An American Quilt with Winona Ryder. It came out in 1995. It's a love story and there's some quilting in it.
    I was so mad after watching that movie! The film was a beautiful story about quilts and the love put into them when they are being made. Then at the end, they give the quilt to the bride, the couple were in a van in an orange grove, she gets out of the van and runs thru the grove, in the wetness of morning dew, with the quilt dragging in the mud!!

So Dear To My Heart is a cute movie. They called the quilts kivvers. Not sure of spelling.

Blog Entries
    I love this movie!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter View Post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    I was so mad after watching that movie! The film was a beautiful story about quilts and the love put into them when they are being made. Then at the end, they give the quilt to the bride, the couple were in a van in an orange grove, she gets out of the van and runs thru the grove, in the wetness of morning dew, with the quilt dragging in the mud!!
    Oh that got me spittin mad - that scene. All that red clay mud on that beautiful white applique. Shame on her! But, if we are to assume that it was her gift (as the character in the movie), then she can do with it as she pleases. That's how some quilts become dog blankets.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Sorry.... the scene where she runs with the quilt wrapped around her...and yes.. it does get soiled...BUT.... it's all in the portrayal of being wrapped in love.... I am happy to see my quilts being loved & even used outdoors if it means the person knows that it was given to them in "love".

Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    I agree!!! Anyone who appreciates quilts would have been livid with that final scene......but it was a good story to that point.
    Linda

Ewww, I'm gonna check this one out! Love story and Quilting - the best!
    Love 4 stchen

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    So Dear To My Heart looks cute. I'll see if I can find it. And I was ticked at Winona over that quilt scene, too. Especially after I read about how quickly that quilt had to be made in time for filming. The ladies who made it had to really hustle. I can't imagine how they felt when they found out what happened to all their hard work.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The best movie that is great for family viewing and has lots of quilts is an old Disney one called So Dear To My Heart.
    I laughed until I cried at the goat scene. The quilts are called 'quivers' in the movie, slang for 'covers'. It's a great movie and Burl Ives sings Lavender Blue in it. It would be perfect for your quilt group.
    I make my students watch that movie every year because I love it!

Blog Entries
    I love watching movies with people making quilts in them. I also love watching the Waltons and Little House on the prarie because I see so many quilts in those shows. Sounds like yall will have a good time at your meeting! Don't forget the popcorn!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Love the movie and the dresses they wear made out of quilts--wonderful.
    SandyQuilter

Blog Entries
    There is the movie " Step mom" with oh gosh can't remember her name.... the mom that is dying makes a memory quilt for her daughter and a quilted cape for her son. There are a lot of quilts in her house that you get glimpses of and then and occasionally you see her quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestardreams View Post
    I love that movie. The quilt they made was beautiful.
    Yes, it was, but I could hear quilters across the country GASP! If you've seen it you know what I mean!

The quilt in Groundhog Day is really beautiful too!
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast