Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving, have to store fabric, HOW? >

Moving, have to store fabric, HOW?

Moving, have to store fabric, HOW?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Default Moving, have to store fabric, HOW?

I am moving and my fabric is going with me, at least most of it. It is going to have go into storage for a couple of months, what is best way to store it so it doesnt get damaged?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM

Humidty that may get trapped could be the most problematic. Using pastic tubs is usually not recommended for long term storage. In this case it is probably your best bet ( for the few months) if you take some humidity precautions. You can purchase those small silicone/silicate packages you often see in the shoe boxes( they always say "do not eat") . They use them to obsorb humitity during shipping. You can purchase them from various on-line sources.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

if you can get the seal up bags, place the silica wrapped in paper towels at the bottom then a sheet and then your fabric and then suck it flat! Then place that in a tote or garbage can! you will be fine....as long as it is not longer than 2-3 months and they can breathe before the temps change! YOu can find the silica packs on ebay really cheap!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 PM

Hadn't thought of that thanks. I'll look into it. I have the fabric in plastic bins now but I wasn't sure it was best way to store it..
Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

I think plastic storage bins are your best option. In case the storage area has a leak or flooding they may be safer. I would wrap the fabric with a clean sheet with those packages not in contact with the fabric. I think I'd make sure my fabric bins were stored up higher and not on the floor?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Just don't over pack! LOL Can do bodily harm if you get carried away with the Space Bags and fill plastic totes with full space bags. Do you know how much you can get into 4 large space bags and then into an 18 gallon rubbermaid tote? ROFL

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
if you can get the seal up bags, place the silica wrapped in paper towels at the bottom then a sheet and then your fabric and then suck it flat! Then place that in a tote or garbage can! you will be fine....as long as it is not longer than 2-3 months and they can breathe before the temps change! YOu can find the silica packs on ebay really cheap!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 AM

We just went through this last year. We sold our house & moved into a temporary place for a few months. I put all my fabric in plastic totes and stored it in my sister's basement until we moved to a permanent residence. The fabric spent 3 months in my sister's basement. I didn't want to take a chance with putting it in the storage unit because of the hot temps, it was summer. All was fine, but sis does have a de-humidifier in her basement.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 AM

good luck!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:24 PM

I knew that I would get some good ideas. thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Space bags sound good ... but they can open or get punctured. Using the silica packs and putting the bags in some sort of tubs with tops so that the tubs aren't too heavy would be great.

Whatever you do you may want to check on your fabric every so often ... so put it where you can get at it while it is in storage.

ali