Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Moving to virginia

  1. #1
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    we just found out that the army is moving us to Newport News VA. My sweet dh found me a quilting shop right in that town within hours of finding out we were moving there. So how many of you are from that state and what can you tell me about it? We are in New Jersey now, love somethings about the state and have enjoyed it but always get that itch to move within a couple of years. VIRGINIA HERE WE COME !!!!!

  2. #2
    Super Member lovequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,018
    My DD and SIL live in Newport News. I love it when I visit. My DD was brought up in Washington State. Getting to visit them (not as often as I'd like from the west coast), I think of all the history that is there. My SIL in in the Navy but the live about 5 block from the army base there where they go shopping. It's a nice town from what I've seen from my visits. I also think you'll develope a great "military family" as my DD has. She gets SOOOO homesick. Would love to meet you when I visit. Won't be till much later this year. Good luck and safe travels. Blessings

    Colleen aka lovequilts

  3. #3
    Super Member lovequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,018
    My DD and SIL live in Newport News. I love it when I visit. My DD was brought up in Washington State. Getting to visit them (not as often as I'd like from the west coast), I think of all the history that is there. My SIL in in the Navy but the live about 5 block from the army base there where they go shopping. It's a nice town from what I've seen from my visits. I also think you'll develope a great "military family" as my DD has. She gets SOOOO homesick. Would love to meet you when I visit. Won't be till much later this year. Good luck and safe travels. Blessings

  4. #4
    varacefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    112
    I live in Chesapeake, VA - a hop, skip, and a jump from Newport News! This is a great area with several good quilt shops. The Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show is here next month!!!
    Welcome :-)

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern , Virginia
    Posts
    1,536
    I live in Southern Virginia. Wish I was in Newport News, they have some great quilt shops in that area !

  6. #6
    Junior Member Mellina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southeast, VA.
    Posts
    193
    I live in Virginia Beach. Quite a few shops around here.

  7. #7
    Shari1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    currently in VA
    Posts
    258
    I'm in VA Beach. Husband is Navy so that's what brings us here. There are worse places to be but it's not my favorite by any means. (sorry to those who like it here) I do think I'd be much happier if I were on the NN/Williamsburg area ;)

  8. #8
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan
    we just found out that the army is moving us to Newport News VA. My sweet dh found me a quilting shop right in that town within hours of finding out we were moving there. So how many of you are from that state and what can you tell me about it? We are in New Jersey now, love somethings about the state and have enjoyed it but always get that itch to move within a couple of years. VIRGINIA HERE WE COME !!!!!
    My BIL and SIL just got moved to a base in Virginia. I'm not sure which one though. I'm sure before they move again we'll go out to visit. The other BIL, SIL, MIL, and FIL all live in North Carolina. I heard there is a great quilt shop in Wilmington NC but I didn't go when we were out there four years ago.

  9. #9
    Super Member Dragonfly Nana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    inland part of Virginia Beach
    Posts
    2,715
    VA Beach here also. Maybe some of us can meet you at the MA Quilt show next month! A bunch of us did that last year.

    Also check out Fabric Hut when you get here. Loads of fabric and great staff.

  10. #10
    Super Member pab58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    near Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    6,222
    Blog Entries
    1
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh........Virginia! My birthplace, and after all these many years living in the north it still runs deep in my very soul!!! I will be a "mountain girl" until the day I die! I love the Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Mountains, Williamsburg and Jamestowne, and the list goes on and on and on and.......... Well, you get the picture!!! Virginia is steeped in history so you will have lots and lots of things to see and do. Because 2011 marks the anniversary of the U.S. Civil War there are sure to be many, many re-enactments and special ceremonies, etc. since about 123 battles were raged in the state of Virginia alone. Jamestown is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The Colonial Triangle (Jamestowne, Williamsburg, and Yorktown) are a must-see!! Be sure to visit Thomas Jefferson's beautiful home, Monticello, located in Charlottesville and the Virginia Military Institute (V.M.I.) in Lexington and Washington and Lee University (also located in Lexington) and be sure to take an amazing scenic drive along the Shenandoah Parkway and the Blue Ridge Parkway (be sure to make a stop at Mabry Mill)!!!

    Oops!!! I guess I got carried away! Sorry!! :oops: :roll: Can you tell I wish I lived there again??!! :cry:

    Enjoy your new digs in beautiful Virginia!!! There's enough to see and do for an entire lifetime!! :thumbup: :wink:

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,719
    Blog Entries
    1
    My daughter and family live near Williamsburg. Love it there. They live in a tiny town that is the county seat. I grew up near the LIBERTY BELL and when I go down there all I see is living history. Jefferson went to this church. My grandson got married there in September'10. Georges' (you know which George, I'm sure.) grandmothers' house is a B&B.
    My SIL does Surveying so my daughter has to do research at the courthouse. Let me tell you - People around there only move every 100 years or so. The wills that she finds are so interesting.
    Gosh I am running on. You will love it around Norfolk. Lots of military retires live there.
    Oh, I can't forget to tell you that it was The War of Northern Aggression!
    And after 16yrs, my daughter and family are still "A COME HERE". They love it there.

  12. #12
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lovequilts
    My DD and SIL live in Newport News. I love it when I visit. My DD was brought up in Washington State. Getting to visit them (not as often as I'd like from the west coast), I think of all the history that is there. My SIL in in the Navy but the live about 5 block from the army base there where they go shopping. It's a nice town from what I've seen from my visits. I also think you'll develope a great "military family" as my DD has. She gets SOOOO homesick. Would love to meet you when I visit. Won't be till much later this year. Good luck and safe travels. Blessings

    Colleen aka lovequilts
    Would love to meet you too. Is your DD a quilter also?

  13. #13
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh........Virginia! My birthplace, and after all these many years living in the north it still runs deep in my very soul!!! I will be a "mountain girl" until the day I die! I love the Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Mountains, Williamsburg and Jamestowne, and the list goes on and on and on and.......... Well, you get the picture!!! Virginia is steeped in history so you will have lots and lots of things to see and do. Because 2011 marks the anniversary of the U.S. Civil War there are sure to be many, many re-enactments and special ceremonies, etc. since about 123 battles were raged in the state of Virginia alone. Jamestown is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The Colonial Triangle (Jamestowne, Williamsburg, and Yorktown) are a must-see!! Be sure to visit Thomas Jefferson's beautiful home, Monticello, located in Charlottesville and the Virginia Military Institute (V.M.I.) in Lexington and Washington and Lee University (also located in Lexington) and be sure to take an amazing scenic drive along the Shenandoah Parkway and the Blue Ridge Parkway (be sure to make a stop at Mabry Mill)!!!

    Oops!!! I guess I got carried away! Sorry!! :oops: :roll: Can you tell I wish I lived there again??!! :cry:

    Enjoy your new digs in beautiful Virginia!!! There's enough to see and do for an entire lifetime!! :thumbup: :wink:
    My husband is a military buff and we are looking forward to living there and all the history to absorb. Thanks for all the great info. Beth
    My

  14. #14
    Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Evergreen LA
    Posts
    1,549
    No opinion from me.....just good luck with the move and hopes that you enjoy the stay. Love military families and appreciate the sacrifices you give for our great country. Keeping you all in my prayers.

  15. #15
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by varacefan
    I live in Chesapeake, VA - a hop, skip, and a jump from Newport News! This is a great area with several good quilt shops. The Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show is here next month!!!
    Welcome :-)
    OHHH I wont be there yet... We wont move till July or August. To bad I am going to miss it. Can't wait to go to all the quilt shops. Dont have any around here.

  16. #16
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh........Virginia! My birthplace, and after all these many years living in the north it still runs deep in my very soul!!! I will be a "mountain girl" until the day I die! I love the Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Mountains, Williamsburg and Jamestowne, and the list goes on and on and on and.......... Well, you get the picture!!! Virginia is steeped in history so you will have lots and lots of things to see and do. Because 2011 marks the anniversary of the U.S. Civil War there are sure to be many, many re-enactments and special ceremonies, etc. since about 123 battles were raged in the state of Virginia alone. Jamestown is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The Colonial Triangle (Jamestowne, Williamsburg, and Yorktown) are a must-see!! Be sure to visit Thomas Jefferson's beautiful home, Monticello, located in Charlottesville and the Virginia Military Institute (V.M.I.) in Lexington and Washington and Lee University (also located in Lexington) and be sure to take an amazing scenic drive along the Shenandoah Parkway and the Blue Ridge Parkway (be sure to make a stop at Mabry Mill)!!!

    Oops!!! I guess I got carried away! Sorry!! :oops: :roll: Can you tell I wish I lived there again??!! :cry:

    Enjoy your new digs in beautiful Virginia!!! There's enough to see and do for an entire lifetime!! :thumbup: :wink:
    No apology necessary for loving your home state... :D

  17. #17
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    Oh you lucky thing! My hub is from Virginia and still has offices there although our main residence is Oklahoma. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to move there. But with kids from another marriage their dad causes more trouble about that than its worth. Its just a few more years until we are free to go where we want....I can wait. =)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.