Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MQX 2011 >

MQX 2011

MQX 2011

Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 AM

I just got back from Machine Quilters Expo in Providence. I have to share with all of you!! The Quilts were fantastic this year, the dealers were great (I spent way too much $$ on Pantos, thread fabric and gadgets) but the classes were wonderful.

I took several classes but there were two that were outstanding!! One was a hands on class with Sally Terry of "Hooked on Feathers" fame while I was there. It was the absolute BEST class I have ever taken. Her class name was Free motion with Wiggle Room. I got to play with some new to me free motion patterns and had a great time while learning.

The other class that was a real hoot was a lecture/demo on Radical Rulers with a guy named Dusty Farrell who "Quilts" in the dark with glow in the dark thread and a black light as well as being a free motion embroidery artist extraordinaire as well (he won several awards on his White Tail Deer quilt at the show!!

What a fantastic trip!!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I agree, it was a great show! I was there Wednesday Thursday. I took a class with Karen McTavish and it was sooooo awesome. The quilts were jaw dropping gorgeous and you are so right on all those vendors! I bought one of Dusty's radical rulers, loads of thread and some fabric.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I agree, it was a great show! I was there Wednesday Thursday. I took a class with Karen McTavish and it was sooooo awesome. The quilts were jaw dropping gorgeous and you are so right on all those vendors! I bought one of Dusty's radical rulers, loads of thread and some fabric.
Did you do the certification class with Karen McTavish? I was so torn - there was not enough time to do everything. Maybe next year I will do one of her classes. I have heard that her classes are really good.

I was so blown away with His quilt - did you get a chance to see it?

Glad you had a good time as well!!
Old 04-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Yes I took her McTavishing class it was wonderful. She is an incredible teacher and the kind of person you would want for your BFF! :lol:

Yes I saw Dusty's quilt. Here is a link to all the pics I posted. His is in there.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-116142-1.htm
Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 PM

I wish I could have gone; I've been to it a couple of times before, but just couldn't afford to go this year. How I would love to have taken Sally Terry's class. I have her book Hooked on Feathers, and it would have been wonderful to take a class from her.

So glad to hear that people had a great time there. Maybe I can go next year.