Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mug Rugs

Blog Entries

Mug Rugs

If this has been asked before I must have missed it. LOVE the idea for the quilted mug rugs but have a few questions for others before I embark on yet another project for Christmas...

1. Don't they get soiled rather quickly? I mean, no matter how careful I am I always end up with coffee or hot chocolate dribbling down my mug which would ultimately meet it's fate on the mug rug. If I use a saucer under the mug rug I've defeated the purpose of looking at the colorful, happy little mug rug.

2. Same goes with laying a sandwich or cookies on it. Don't you have to wash them every time you use them?

Really hope there's an answer because they are just too cute!

I so agree. I will be watching to see how it is handled!

Mine stays clean for several uses; I also use a small napkin (Vanity Fair cocktail napkins) for cookies or whatever snack I have.

delma

I try to use dark colors. I make them monthly for my mother. I told her use them, if they dirty I'll make her another. She has washed a few and layed flat to dry then quick press.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    I have learned to make sure to quilt the mug rugs, as I throw them in the wash when needed. Makes them sturdier and gives them character. My family was brought up to use a plate or napkin if they are having a sandwich, or eating in another room other than at a table or counter. For us the sandwich or cookies directly on the mug rugs is not an issue because we use a plate or napkin. It is just one of those compromises to using the mug rug for anything besides a coffee mug, cup or glass.

I love making mug rugs for each month. They wash up great. I recently started using my embroidery feature on my machine. Embarassed to say it took me three years to figure it out! Now I embroider seasonal designs on my mug rugs. The girls at work were buying them as fast as I could make them in December!
    Sophie2

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
    If this has been asked before I must have missed it. LOVE the idea for the quilted mug rugs but have a few questions for others before I embark on yet another project for Christmas...

1. Don't they get soiled rather quickly? I mean, no matter how careful I am I always end up with coffee or hot chocolate dribbling down my mug which would ultimately meet it's fate on the mug rug. If I use a saucer under the mug rug I've defeated the purpose of looking at the colorful, happy little mug rug.

2. Same goes with laying a sandwich or cookies on it. Don't you have to wash them every time you use them?

Really hope there's an answer because they are just too cute!
    Don't wash every time-------------but do wash fairly often. Depends on your sense of cleanliness.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried Scotchgard and, if so, does it work? Coffee and hot chocolate are so hard to get out'

Blog Entries
    I have one I use for my mouse pad. The ones I have wash up very nicely. For me the mug rugs are made to be used and washed. When they die, I'll make another. They are fun to make and use

I use mine for a LONG time without washing. The beads of "sweat" just dry up and don't leave spots. I have a bunch of them so when I put one in to wash I get another one out immediately. We love them. I don't eat on mine.

Some one told me that Scotchgard is not available any more, due to the fact that it was taken off the market due to aersols. I miss it.

Blog Entries
    Oh, bummer, but thanks for your response wisconsin with the update.

Blog Entries
    I made some for Christmas gifts, and were so much appreciated by those who received them; they love their morning coffee or tea in front of their big windows, or patio doors to watch the birds, and love having these to "catch the drips" and they really do last quite a while - but when dirty - wash them - they are not hard to make, not hard to launder - and if you need the pressed look,lay an iron onthem before returning to use... otherwise, just using the laundered ones as is, makes for a used look, and I loved "used".
    JO

Maybe I am just not the housekeeper some of the rest of you are (probably better than maybe--) but I've used mine for ages and not washed them and not found them dirty. Though my regular coasters seem to get dirty. Maybe I just don't see the dirt on the fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
    I love making mug rugs for each month. They wash up great. I recently started using my embroidery feature on my machine. Embarassed to say it took me three years to figure it out! Now I embroider seasonal designs on my mug rugs. The girls at work were buying them as fast as I could make them in December!
    Sophie, do you have any pictures? How much did you sell them for? This may be an idea for me to sell to the people at work. I work at Costco so there's lots of people there. Thanks, Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails View Post
    Sophie, do you have any pictures? How much did you sell them for? This may be an idea for me to sell to the people at work. I work at Costco so there's lots of people there. Thanks, Wendy
    I would like to see a photo also as the embroidery sounds like a much nicer finished product. Please post a picture for us.
    Jan from the Thumb of MI

I wssh them as needed. If they look dirty to me in the wash they go! They come out nice and depending on the fabric I may put the iron to them to flatten them down! Very cute to use and quite simple to maintain.

Blog Entries
    wobdering how much you sell this for as thinking of making them for an upcoming sale

You could spray them with Scotchguard to help protect them. It helps alot. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
    Yes Sophie, please do tell! I've made a number of mug rugs and love to use them around the house, but have not had much success in selling them (except a handful of Halloween ones I made). What was your selling price? I sold mine for $15 each, underpriced for the amount of time I put into them, yet I knew people would not want to pay more for a mini placemat. Btw, I use mine daily for about a week and then throw them in the washer and dryer, no pressing. They hold up just fine.

before you use them . Use the spray that you put on couches etc that repels water sorry brain freeze on what it is called right now . it works great and you reapply after you wash them.
    To God give the Glory.

I've only made one set (4) of mug rugs for my porch table and I luv'em! I try to keep them clean by using a paper napkin to catch the dribbles. You might want to consider (especially if they are too cute to mess up with stains) coating them with a scotch guard product. Mine aren't all that special so I'm not too concerned about getting them stained, but again I use the paper napkin to try to keep them as stain free as possible. I want to make some really 'cute' ones and others that I don't care if spaghetti sauce gets on them! And again, try using a napkin to place under the sandwich or cookies to keep mayo or grease (or butter) from the cookie from transferring to the mug rug. True, you won't be able to see it, but you will be able to use it! and then you won't have to wash everytime! Good luck! And if you come up with a great solution please share!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam1111 View Post
    I wssh them as needed. If they look dirty to me in the wash they go! They come out nice and depending on the fabric I may put the iron to them to flatten them down! Very cute to use and quite simple to maintain.
    Me too. I have one next the my computer keyboard, one on my desk and one in a basket that I keep in the tv room for my snacks while tv watching and/or reading. Don't have one on my sewing desk because I'm afraid of spilling something onto my fabrics. TV room mat gets washed the most as it gets the most use. As the quote says, when they get dirty, they get washed. May in Jersey
    Last edited by May in Jersey; 02-17-2012 at 11:11 AM.

I use Scotchguard on my aprons (bibs really, we wear them every time we eat) and it works good. It has to be re-applied about every third wash, but so far there are no stains.

I also like Resolve StainStick, it seems to get most stains out.

I sprayed some Scotchguard on some white fabric and have it laying on my kitchen window sill, in the sun, to see if it discolors as I would like to use it on a quilt with a white background I intend to hang on my dining room wall.

I use my mug rug that a lovely lady from this board sent me daily, and rarely have to wash it. It is quilted and lovely and very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
    Has anyone tried Scotchgard and, if so, does it work? Coffee and hot chocolate are so hard to get out'
    :-)
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing, Happy Trails! I have a large family and several friends. These are so fun to make and gift! I would love to see any pictures that you might have for mug rug! thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast