Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Musings re: stash and purchasing >

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 AM

I have a huge stash of fabric and never apologize for it. I'm very glad now that I have been collecting over the years. I'm retired...income is limited and the price of fabric these days makes buying new a real luxury. I depend on yard and estate sales. What I have is not the newest but the idea is to keep making quilts. AND...they were all made in the good old USA!!! They will never be considered heirlooms but they are made to be used and loved. However, my late aunt ( actually I taught her to quilt...she was a knitter) made one quilt a year...she bought only the fabric for that quilt and until that quilt was finished, no new fabric. I am fortunate enough to have all of her quilts since her daughters were totally uninterested in needlearts. So I figure, different strokes for different folks. Whatever makes a person happy!! Live and let live
Old 07-01-2011, 06:12 AM

I agree with you. When we were younger, my Mom sewed all of our clothes, curtains, furniture covers, dance review costumes, etc. and never threw away the scraps or leftover yardage. She always saved it for "maybe one day I will need it". Unfortunately, she never used it and when we did hit her stash, some of the fabric had dry rotted! Even though I am a sewer, I have never held onto to fabric scraps. My name "scrapbeagle" originated when I became a scrapbooker, which is a whole other stash happy hobby.

I am new to quilting, and although it is very hard not to buy when you see the fabric, I am trying not to build too big of a stash. There is nothing wrong with having or not having a stash. We will each find our own path in how we accomplish our quilting. I am fortunate to have fabric and local quilting stores close to my house, and some do not have that advantage.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:19 AM

I'm a stasher but I usually buy with specific ideas in mind - sometimes the fabric is used that way and sometimes not. I buy for backs of quilts, pillowcases, kids, blenders, and on and on. Some fabrics have been given to me - oh yes, I save my scraps, some in bags from quilts I've made and I know the fabrics go together. Over time, the fabric just builds. I have a lot of fat quarters when they were the popular thing to buy. Now I'm sorry I have such as stash of them and will be using some of them as backs for QAYG.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 AM

I have a stash because I know what I like and don't like, and even if I don't have a specific quilt in mind, if I like it, it will get used. I am a single mom supporting my elderly mother and about to send my son off to college this fall. Money is very limited. I have a specific amount earmarked for "mad money" for me to buy books, go out, buy fabric, whatever recreation I desire each month. I used up most of my June money and part of my July money yesterday on Connecting Threads. I had to get some white fabric to finish off what I need to make my son a quilt, and then I saw their clearance stuff. They had some really nice fabric that I liked for 2.96 a yard. I ended up getting a total of 27 yards of fabric (including my white I originally wanted) for 95 dollars. I will either use them in a quilt top, or as backing. And since I have a stash, I can go to that instead of the store when I want to make a new quilt and not get stuck paying an outrageous amount for the fabric, or be stuck unable to start a new one when I want because I have no extra money that month. I think it will be fun when I have to go to my stash and pick out fabric for a new quilt. Make the quilt fit the fabric- its like a puzzle. Virg
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 AM

I started out only buying what I needed for the quilt I was working on. That worked well until I had the brilliant idea of making a queen sized tumbling block with every diamond a different fabric. I have a lot of FQs.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 AM

As has been said before, to each his own. I have a stash, and my mother had a stash. I organized my fabric last fall and I pretty much know what I have. My husband encourages me to buy when fabric is on sale and buy some extra if the price is good. We never know when we might need to make a quilt for a gift or just to be creative. I also live 50 miles away from the fabric stores so it is good to have something to use when I want it.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I stash for many reasons, one is when inspiration strikes , I can act on it without having to go to the store. I find it distracting sometimes to have to go and search out ... I am much more likely to finish a project if I can start when I really want .
I stash because over the years often when I see a fabulous fabric ... it will probably be gone when I finally figure out what I will do with it. So for me the process is different its fabric first .. Figuring out the project for the fabric is second.
Additionally I do not want to always pay full price .. so when I see a piece I know will have use on sale I buy it.
Me Too.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 AM

This is what I love about this board--SO many different approaches, and not one attitude about "you should do it my way because of [reason]." Just honest, friendly sharing and discussion, and everyone has perfectly good reasons for why they do or do not do something.

I did take advantage of the big Independence Day sale at Joann this morning, but all I got was a big rotary mat and the fixings for 2 lap quilts--one for my living room, and one to try my hand at selling. This should be enough to keep me busy for months to come, and they're ready when I am. :)
Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM

I probably knew long ago that I would make at least one quilt someday, therefore, I had a small stash before I even started to make a quilt. I have bought lots of fabric since then, mostly on sale or fabrics I really, really liked. I bought theme fabrics for kids quilts and then patriotic fabrics. I have bought bundles from garage sales, e-bay, etc. I am working from my stash now. I may need fabrics for backings or perhaps need something specific for a quilt. I want to use up my stash now. I am glad I have it but it takes up too much storage room. I also have a huge stash of yarn, a stash of crochet and tatting thread and of course books for all of the above. Will I use all of this up before I go home to be with the Lord?? Who knows!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 AM

I have a fair sized stash. I will be retiring in a couple of years and won't be financially able to purchase much. I don't smoke, drink or overspend anywhere else, so I forgive myself if I see a piece of fabric that I love and buy it even if I don't have an immediate plan for it. I have slowed way down on buying these days, though, until I use up some of my current stash.