Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Muslin Backing

Muslin Backing

I am thinking about using a muslin backing on a quilt I am working on and was wondering whether you wash the muslin first for shrinkage. The top is Benartex fabric that has Not been previously washed. The muslin is JoAnn's premium.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-18-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I use Joannís premium legacy muslin all the time and I donít prewash, Iíve never had any issues and find it to be very soft, I love the feel.
    Lisa

I prewash everything. I don't want any surprises later.

I recently used Joann's premium muslin and ran into something that had not happened to me before. I used the premium muslin before just fine. I did not prewash it; I don't prewash anything. I also use 505 spay baste. For some reason the spray would not adhere well to the muslin. Maybe that particular batch had chemicals/sizing in it that made it different. I started quilting and that backing just shifted around. I ended up ripping out the quilting and re-sprayed and tried again. The same thing happened!! After ripping it out the second time, I used a different fabric for the back. I washed the piece of muslin and have used it for scrap now. So long story short...I would prewash that backing. I am now a little leery about using their premium muslin at all now...sad :-(

Blog Entries
    I too would pre-wash the muslin. just to be on the safe side. it can shrink. i think the top will be fine. good luck.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I pre-wash all of my fabric. I especially pay attention to my reds. I am also glad to hear that some of you use the JoAnn's muslin. I am going to try that next time

I would prewash since it is a large solid piece of fabric, unlike the top which a small pieces sewed together. I have had muslin shrink a lot in both directions, so I would not want to risk it.

I pre wash everything, period.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I too use the legacy premium muslin I used to prewash it but haven’t in a while. Since I quilt on a frame I don’t use adhesive spray so can’t speak to that. BTW the reason I don’t wash it anymore is because of using precuts, I just figured it would all get washed at the same time.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Thanks for the response. I would rather be safe than sorry since it's a wedding gift for my great nephew. I always throw in a box of Color Catcher with quilts. This is my first muslin attempt at using muslin backing and want it to be a success. I too have a longarm so won't have the adhesive issue. I don't normally prewash anything so you all have been very helpful. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
    I use Joann’s premium legacy muslin all the time and I don’t prewash, I’ve never had any issues and find it to be very soft, I love the feel.
    Ditto from my sewing room. Never a problem.

Blog Entries
    I've used JoAnn's premium muslin for both the backing and for pieced blocks and have never had any problems.

I have used Joann's premium muslin for several backs recently and do not prewash my backs. I find that if I do prewash the back, it slips a little more and I get puckers on the back. I pin-baste (hate the spray glue) on a bed or large table and I quilt on my Elna Excellence 720. If you do prewash, I recommend you starch the backing well.

Power Poster
    I made curtains from it .I found that it shrank at least 1.5 inches per yard in length when I washed it.

I prewash everything.

I used it once for a backing of a top I made from 1930s (or reproduction) fabrics that my kids bought at an estate sale; it seemed fitting. As I remember -- it's been a few years....and that quilt is still not quilted! -- I pre-washed because someone warned me about shrinkage.

Suz
    Please think about a pretty back. To me, muslin is a cop out. Your top is probably beautiful and required lots of time and talent. Put pretty on the back as well. Just my opinion.

For muslin, I would prewash it. I don’t think it will matter if the top fabrics has been prewashed or not. The muslin will probably shrink a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Please think about a pretty back. To me, muslin is a cop out. Your top is probably beautiful and required lots of time and talent. Put pretty on the back as well. Just my opinion.

I don’t think muslin is a cop out. It is a matter of choice. I like to use it on the back of my vintage quilt tops. It is more with the time period than something “pretty”. It also showcases the quilting (if that is what is desired).

I would have to disagree with Suz as well. A muslin back is not a cop out. In addition to the reasons Ellen 1 has mentioned another big factor is cost. I would say maybe the biggest factor. Depending on the size of the quilt buying up to 8 yards of premium LQS fabric at $10-$13 a yard is a lot of money.

I got a bolt of Muslin and use it for backings with no issues so far. I am not near the bolt so can’t see what the label says. It feels substantial enough for me. I use undiluted Elmer’s washable school glue to baste. I am not a prewasher. So far I’ve had good luck
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
    I don’t think muslin is a cop out. It is a matter of choice. I like to use it on the back of my vintage quilt tops. It is more with the time period than something “pretty”. It also showcases the quilting (if that is what is desired).
    I agree. I like the look of a nice (not thin and cheap) muslin on the back of quilts, especially vintage ones. I also like the look of good muslin in the piecing.

Blog Entries
    I use Jo Ann's Legacy Studio muslin (premium quality) for quilt backing and have never pre-washed. So far so good.
    TxCaRose

I love that muslin! I like the look of a nice muslin. It matches reproduction fabrics perfectly. However, I would always wash and press it before using, because it contains “sizing”.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I don't think a muslin back is a cop out. Muslin is what we used years ago before we had the selctions we have today. And with it being longarmer quilted, the quilt design makes a stunning back side to any quilt.