Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
muslin quality >

muslin quality

muslin quality

Old 04-30-2014, 04:59 AM

Default muslin quality

I am headed to Joanns today (coupons in hand) to find some wide backing for a quilt that is 105" square. I have looked online and saw they have Sew Essentials and Legacy Studio brands as well as Roc Lon. RocLon I have worked with and am happy with the quality, but I know nothing of the other two brands. Since I will need the extra wide backing, I need to be a bit flexible but also don't want to pick up something that isn't up to par. Does anyone have experience with the other two brands of muslin?
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 AM

Yes, I want to know too -- I have been using the narrower muslins from Joanns and paying $6-7 a yard (before coupons) but not paying attention to brand (shopping by price??) -- quality has been good
Old 04-30-2014, 06:44 AM

Roc Lon makes several grades/quality of muslin... be careful just because it says Roc Lon does not ensure you ar getting the one you prefer. I really like the Legacy and Kona muslin at Jo'anns.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM

I buy whatever they call premium muslin, I think it is by Moda, in JAF. I use it for quilt tops and backing. It has much better hand than half the fabrics I buy.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 AM

I ONLY purchase the Legacy Studios muslin. I have used all three - bleached, unbleached and tea dyed. ALWAYS a great quality, lovely hand, soft, firm, high count. Love it, Love it, Love it. I just purchased a bolt of the 106" wide unbleached. And will probably get a bolt of the 106" bleached, next month. I have always loved the designs and fabric of their prints, and just discovered in the last year that they make solids as well as the muslins.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I buy whatever they call premium muslin, I think it is by Moda, in JAF. I use it for quilt tops and backing. It has much better hand than half the fabrics I buy.
I also use the premium muslin and have been very, very happy with it.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 PM

Legacy premium is the one I love, has a softer feel than roc lon and sew essentials and seems the weave is different. It just feels higher quality to me
Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Roc Lon makes several grades/quality of muslin... be careful just because it says Roc Lon does not ensure you ar getting the one you prefer. I really like the Legacy and Kona muslin at Jo'anns.
yes, be careful. Read the end of the bolt. I got some muslin which has to be HAND washed! Ridiculous! Luckily, I am going to use this as lining for a cushion cover so don't have to worry about washing it.
But, this sure taught me a lesson about reading everything before purchasing things.