Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
muslin >

muslin

muslin

Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by beetle
Do any of you use it for backing? I would like a lower cost alternative for my backing but wondered about the quality of muslin. Obviously, I know it wouldn't be as good quality as "regular" quilting fabric. Just wondering if it "will do".
i use sheets and muslin the muslin is 200count on my quilts the muslin works good i have no complains about it so far

Jerrie
Old 01-08-2009, 03:21 PM

I've used both sheets and muslin for backing. I've found "utility" muslin is a bit heavier and washes up beautifully. I do remove all of my fabrics promptly from the washer and take them straight to the ironing board.

If sheet shopping, don't hesitate getting a "set" you can always use the fitted sheet on the next smaller (i.e. queen fitted sheet for a full quilt back) size for a second quilt back. I like to get mine from Bed Bath and Beyond, and I "feel" them first to make sure they feel nice.

Just be careful I've seen extra wide muslin $$$ more than quilt backs.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:00 PM

i personally don't care for muslin except in period quilts. the good stuff costs the same as sale 100% cotton. Joann has 108" 100% cotton in soft floral prints that sell for $9.99. when you ask for quilt fabric, they never tell you that. i buy it on sale for $5. it also loses size when washed, so be careful of both. i just think the florals are more interesting and have a wider margin for error if your stitching is less than perfect (like mine).
Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 AM

I'm a muslin queen:))Love that stuff and have even over-dyed it darker:))It is an excelent blender too. I have to admit that I like the Walmart one too. I am always on the hunt for any 'good' muslin. You can find it where you could read a book thru it...I walk away:0)You may find 10 different ones side by side in a store...keep feeling for the right one;))I actually think it ends up making your quilt feeling softer. Just MHO ...Skeat